Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the things to look for to help determine if a 1969 camaro is an SS or not? I believe they came with multi-leaf rear springs (how many?), a heavier radiator (how do I tell), a return vapor line from the gas tank, etc..... Any and all items would be of great help! THANKS!

·
Registered
955 Posts
If the car has the original engine and trans check to see if the partial VIN on the engine matches the public VIN on the dash. Now verify that VIN by looking into the cowl panel with a strong flashlight on the passengers side. There is a partial VIN stamped into the cowl. The partial vin should show you the build number of the car and match the public VIN. If you can't see it through the cowl, you have to remove the cowl panel to view it. The all of the VIN's match, check the casting numbers on the block. The first portion of the engine Serial number will tell you what car the engine came in from the factory. Sometimes this is a very specific application and sometimes it will just indicate a vehicle line. You can look under the rear on the outside frame rail next to the gas tank to see if the dual exhaust hangers are there. That is just another indicator but not a positive ID. The best evidence is a build sheet, protecto-plate, or delivery invoice. If the car has not been molested, you may find the build sheet behind the rear sheet or on top of the gas tank. There are a lot of variables to look for. Good Luck

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 69X11ss! Will be checking the vin numbers, the hanger for the exhaust is the kind of thing I was looking for, one more little thing to help add things up.

I will be looking at the car tomorrow, hopefully it will pan out and Maybe I can change my name to 69X11rs/ss.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My 69 is a 350 300 hp 4 speed factory car.Code X55 on the cowl panel.It does have multileaf spring,12 bolt and front discs.Possibly options?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
If the numbers on the engine match, and the car is unrestored, that's a strong indicator of real SS. If it is restored, almost anything can be altered.

If it is unrestored, clues are easier to check.
Tire sticker on the driver door, emmissions sticker on the core support, tach, if it has one,
proper hose brackets for disc brakes, to name a few.

BTW, don't waste your time looking for a build sheet. Virtually no Norwood cars have been found with them. With Van Nuys cars, it is probably worth the search.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It should have 5 leaf springs on a 12 bolt, 4 barrel carb, hood louvers or cowl hood, and "SS" emblems. Look in the trunk to see the mounting of the SS emblems. Shouldn't be extra holes or bondo oozing out of filled holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts