Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a SSBC front disk brake conversion kit for my 68.

I figure while I have the spindles off the car, I would replace the bushings, tie rod ends etc...
I purchased the front end rebuild kit (FSK-5) from Ricks.

I have a spring compressor as well as most of the necessary tools. The install writeup that came with the SSBC kit is pretty good, the f/e rebuild kit ame with no instructions.

Any resources/suggestions to make the installation a smooth one would be appreciated

Thank you,
Scott

·
Registered
386 Posts
There is a pretty good generic procedure detailed on the website for the company that I bought my rebuild kit from (PST):

www.p-s-t.com

I also used the Camaro Owner's Handbook for a "Camaro-specific" reference. Here is the Amazon link to that book:

Camaro Owner's Handbook

There is also a weatlh of information to be found by searching the archives here. Good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Like David said, there is tons of info to be had on this site and many more. The front end rebuild is pretty straight forward. Have a manchine shop and mechanics shop press the old and new bushings and lower ball joint for your a-arms. The idler arm bolts right up, the upper ball joint bolts up as well, may have to grind down the rivets if you're working with the originals. On the tie rods, remove the original ones and measure or compare the new ones to the old in regards to length. Be very careful with the coil springs, secure them to the frame with a chain or equivalent, as well as wrap a chain some what loosely around the upper and lower a-arms to prevent them from seperating if the spring decides it doesn't want to cooperate. Hope this helps and ask away if you have any more questions, that is what this site is here for.

Patrick

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Patrick/Dave/David:
Thanks for the feedback.

Right after I posted this thread, I started seaching this site...tons of useful info
Seems like the general consensus is to have a machine shop press in the lower ball joints and a-arm bushings... I will plan on doing that

Re: chain - how heavy of a chain do I need? How long?
I replaced my stock coils with eibachs on my 02 Camaro..it went pretty smoothly...hoping the same for this one.

davidpozzi - I like your motorsports page - the Lola must be amazing!

Thanks again guys,
Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts