Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For my 68' I bought the rear drum to disk brake conversion from "Stainless Steel Brake Co." They 're the F1 aluminum calipers. After installing this brake setup there's a 3/8" gap between the inside pad and the rotor. How do I close that gap up ? I haven't bled the brakes yet, didn't know if that would help. There's also a nut on the backside of the caliper for adjusting the E-brake. If I turn the nut ,the piston pushes in closing the gap, then I could set the E-brake adjustment. Still I'm not sure because the directions explain nothing, heck, the directions weren't very good for the whole setup.

·
Registered
220 Posts
is it a floating caliper? if so bleeding the brakes will center it on the rotor, if not you may need to shim the caliper, but that seems like a lot for it to be off.. got a pic of it installed?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'd contact the SSBC tech people. I did this kit on mine but haven't hooked up E-brakes yet. I remember having to call about a couple questions. The guy I drew by luck of draw acted like I was interfering with his day by asking a question about their product but was able to extract the info. I needed from the rude fella and keep movin.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
I just did the Right Stuff rears and it came with shims to shim the caliper bracket. Didn't need thenm though.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Usually with the integrated E-brake calipers you work the emergency brake several times until it will clamp the rotor, then bleed. Then the E-brake has to be used every time you park the car because it will keep the rear brakes adjusted.

If the calipers mount to a bracket using two smooth rods that slide into the calipers it makes sense when you think about it. As you drive the piston out, it will eventually hit the rotor. Then the entire caliper will slide on the rods and center itself and the outside pad will be pulled against the rotor. I found directions somewhere that said there needed to be 0.030" between the pad and rotor when the brake was released. I put a feeler gauge between the rotor and outside pad then activated the e-brake lever by hand until it clamped the rotor solidly. If you have a spring on the brake lever, it's easier to do it this way if you remove the spring.

Do yours mount like this?

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Sounds like you are missing the spacers or you have them mounted incorrectly. I used RightStuff and had to use the thick shim. If they are installed correctly, Yes, they have to be adjusted in via E-brake intermediate adjuster.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts