Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used a stainless bolt kit for my sbc engine. I was talking to a nut and bolt wholesaler and he said not to use stainless fasteners for aluminum.(electrolysis?)

I have aluminum heads and aluminum intake.Should I replace the intake bolts with standard steel bolts? Does this only apply to parts that come into contact with coolant?

Thanks in advance, Ray

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
I use stainless bolts in my aluminum heads, intake, and water pump with no problems after 3.5 years.

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
Just use anti-seize and you will be fine. I have nothing but aluminum and stainless all over my car and I haven't had a problem. Anti-sieze is a good idea whenever you are threading a bolt into aluminum (even if it is steel, stainless, aluminum, copper, etc..) aluminum likes to gall.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Yes I try to use anti-seize on everything aluminum. The only place I dont is where a thread sealer is called for (rocker stud that goes into intake runner,bolt that goes into coolant passage etc...)

Thanks again, Ray

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Dissimilar metal corrosion is a common problem seen in aviation applications. I know jet engine cowlings see a lot of this where the stainless steel doublers were layed over the aluminum skins. Follow the others advice posted above and you'll be fine. We use a lot of mastinox during assembly in aviation, but I wouldn't advise it's use since it is a known carcinagen (but what isn't a carcinagen in aviation). Always use anti-sieze on stainless fittings and hardware to prevent the galling that stainless is so well know for.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I agree with the above comments, but it is important on any engine to change the coolant regularly. This keeps the anti-corrosion packages fresh and doing their job.

Non-coolant passage fasteners won't be a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts