Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to my engine swap I used Russell Teflon lined braided hose with the matching ends for my power steering pressure hose. It has given me no trouble until it failed yesterday while making a U-turn. After 10 years and 82,700 miles I really can't complain. The hose is about 7 feet long and sprung a leak about a foot from the pump. It's a hose failure plain and simple, not a hose/end junction and it hasn't rubbed on anything although it is soon after I replaced the pump due to the pump being noisy. The pump was on the engine when I got it and had almost 200K on it. Again, I can't complain.

I'm not looking for a failure analysis, just looking for someone with experience with the best thing to buy for a replacement with maybe more longevity.

I'm leaning toward Aeroquip Teflon hose with matching ends and maybe a piece of Russell hose with my existing ends for a spare. I assume there will be no problem with deterioration with some hopefully long term storage of a spare hose.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
You are leaning the right way. Can't beat those crimped ends. As for the braided hose look, there are cover sleeves but I think the plastic slip on cover still looks factory. I have seen guys using these Aeroquip hoses on many of the new hydro booster set ups. Those use lots of pressure from the pump.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Don. I would prefer the braided hose look as it matches best to what I already have, but it's not a necessity. I'm still leaning toward Aeroquip.

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Thanks, Don. I would prefer the braided hose look as it matches best to what I already have, but it's not a necessity. I'm still leaning toward Aeroquip.
Check with them, They make hoses for aircraft too.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I have new Aeroquip stuff on order.

ZZ_430, my setup is similar to yours but not near as pretty. My pump and reservoir are on the other side of the engine compartment. In addition to a cooler in the valance panel under the bumper it adds up to a lot of hose. I used a reservoir from a Nissan from my local boneyard. It came with a mounting bracket with a dovetail type mount. If I need to move the reservoir it just pulls straight up out of the mount.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts