Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that stainless exhaust expands when it is hot. When it heats up does it cause any problems with fit and/or the gaskets?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I've never heard that one before. Doesn't mean it's not true to some degree though. If it does expand, in my opinion it couldn't be enough to cause problems. I know some guy's with street rods & stainless exhaust & they don't seem to have problems. And they're systems are jammed in there.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
No, it doesn't expand any more than regular steel does, but the guys who sell only regular steel would have you believe otherwise. My '57 Corvette has a full stainless steel system, and my tailpipe tips (through the bumpers) don't expand any further than my neighbor's Vette, which is identical except his system is regular steel; measured them both hot and cold, same expansion (about 3/8").

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had a stainless system on my Z for 20 years and have never noticed any problems.

------------------
camarodave
'69Z 23,000 orig. miles
Rallye Green/White stripes

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with the above comments. SS should not make a difference on your Camaro.

Most concerns about expansion are based on the newer cars. These systems are double walled to hold heat in ahead of the converter. Higher temperature = greater expansion. The mounts have a sliding bracket to take care of this. The Stainless is primarily used to increase life at these temperatures.

------------------
1967 Camaro coupe since 12/24/66, '98 WS6 Conv, Y2K Corvette Conv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts