Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Transmission is a restamp in my opinion.

Axle way too early for car.
here are the pictures of the engine stamping and the best i could get of the transmission stamping.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
In which picture did you see the transmission stamping? So far I can only see a little bit of it in one of the pics.
thats the best i could get the camera in to take a picture, just wanted an opinion if it was an original or restamped trans.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Maybe this is a little better on the trans stamping. I used a photo editor to help out
Tire Automotive tire Hood Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
I can't tell about the transmission stamp (too blurry for me), but Bryon has a lot more transmission stamp pictures than I do, so I'll bow to him. However, based on the physical location of the engine suffix and the lack of broach marks, the block's a restamp.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I can't tell about the transmission stamp (too blurry for me), but Bryon has a lot more transmission stamp pictures than I do, so I'll bow to him. However, based on the physical location of the engine suffix and the lack of broach marks, the block's a restamp.

Ed
thanks for the information, well at least the car isn't stolen. i bought it knowing it wasn't a numbers matching drive train. just didn't know the engine was re stamped. but i thought some thing was up cause there is no vin stamp on it. just wanted to find out exactly what i have. thank you.

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
If there is one, the partial VIN would be on the side of the block above the oil filter in the rough area where the bell housing attaches. Example drawing shown HERE.

Ed

·
Registered
4,708 Posts
Post a picture. Best case scenario is that if it's your VIN (and it's factory correct), it's your original block that someone restamped as an L78/L89.

Ed

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
if the trim tag build date is O3B 2nd week of march, on a 1969 camaro. what would be the correct build dates of the muncie 4 speed trans. and the rear axle?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
if the trim tag build date is O3B 2nd week of march, on a 1969 camaro. what would be the correct build dates of the muncie 4 speed trans. and the rear axle?
typically, the drivetrain stuff was built a few weeks before car build date. I am sure there are exceptions to this but a build date of a drivetrain part "after" the car build date would often mean that part was a warranty replacement or replaced due to accident

although parts with suspicious stampings can be attempts by someone to make what they call a "#'s matching" or trim model the car was not originally

·
Premium Member
6,738 Posts
I agree on the restamped trans. Yep, that axle is way too early

·
Premium Member
6,738 Posts
Just saw a pic of the engine pad stamp and I dont like that either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
typically, the drivetrain stuff was built a few weeks before car build date. I am sure there are exceptions to this but a build date of a drivetrain part "after" the car build date would often mean that part was a warranty replacement or replaced due to accident

although parts with suspicious stampings can be attempts by someone to make what they call a "#'s matching" or trim model the car was not originally
under the casting numbers on the passenger side of the transmission, about 2 to 3 inches below the patent number to the left, is the number 10 and a smaller number 5 originally cast into the main case. what do they mean?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts