Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son's 92 Camaro LT with 305 sometimes will not crank with ignition key actuation. It is not a starter problem. Suspect it is related to security system actuated by ignition key chip. How do I deactivate the security system?
Art

·
Registered
565 Posts
My daughter has a 92 also, and has NEVER had a problem with the chip... is there a reason you are suspecting it for the starter issue?

·
Super Moderator
32,531 Posts
Welcome to the Club, cloggerman. If you suspect a VATS problem with starting, do this: attempt to start the car, no action, wait min 3 minutes, then try again with the same key. If it starts and runs, you probably need a new ign key lock.

The key lock has a pair of "leaves" reading the key chip. These leaves are not very stout and as they age, they lose their tension to rub/read the key chip. This will require replacemnt of the ign lock and keys. You can get the parts from any GM dealer, they are interchangable. Take your old key so they can match it up. I did this changeout to a 91 Cadillac Brougham for a friend.

There is a way to bypass the VATS with external items and somebody here, I'm sure has the address to the article to instruct one how to do this.

Good luck, you might do a search for VATS, plenty of articles here about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts