Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '69 camaro with a 350 engine. I have starter problems due to my headers. Can anyone offer advise on a type/brand of starter that operates nicely under such conditions? I have had a "mini-torque" starter all along but it still gives me trouble. My mechanic says it's just a Toyota starter that I have and nothing special. Of course the distributor I bought it from says it's fine after bench testing it. He also says it's not affected by heat. I don't get it. The thing won't turn over unless it's cool. Even then after a couple tries of the key. Do these things gum up quickly? Does anyone else have these problems. I'm ready to buy something new. I appreciate any feedback!

·
10,160 Posts
Do a search in the trouble shooting section on starter problems.
You are not the first one to have troubles.
Remedies are varied.
But make sure your starter is getting a good supply of juice.
Check you wiring and neutral safety switch and ignition switch.
Also check all grounds.
Is your starter chattering or does it engage but turn over the engine slowly?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Chev 350
Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, David.
When I turn the key, the starter does not engage. I just here one click noise each time I try. It eventually turns over and does so with its normal power. The problem has gotten worse lately especially when engine is hot. Somebody recommended a late model Camaro starter. He said it's not the starter but its selenoid that's causing the problem. I believe I already have this type of starter though. Also, I have a new battery in the car and my mechanic said my wires were fine. Is it possible my starter (rebuilt) is crap? I just got this one! I will re-check wires today. Thanks for any advise!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Jrod,
well if your on a budget and dont want to shell out bucks for a new starter.... i had the same problem with heat soak ( there is barely and inch between my headers and my starter)and i bought a starter heat wrap from summit or jegs for about 23-25 bucks and i havent had a problem since.

Nate

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Nate. I didn't know if any heat shield or wrap would do much. I going to buy one ASAP! It definately is a heat related problem and man, I am sick of it!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes definitely protect it from heat. that was my main problem and a heatshield is the best investment you will make

1 - 6 of 6 Posts