Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas why I am going through starters plus flywheels. Motor was built 8 months ago 383 small block external balace motor. No issues except it started having starting issues grinding and wore out the starter and fly wheel. Both were not quality parts. So I replaced flywheel with a high grade one and top of the line promaster starter. Both of the parts are good for a year and they have been in for a couple of months. Now I am getting the same grinding sound and wear on the fly wheel in a couple of spots, The starter is tight and lines up great as far as we can tell. Does seem to do it more after running it and restarting. Is this an internal crank or balance problem or something else. Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Something else. You need to get in there and measure the interface between the gear and flywheel teeth. Use a small drill bit, about 1/8". Hold the gear extended and try to shove the bit into the small gap formed by the two meshing. Too tight and the bit won't go in. Too loose and it'll be sloppy.
I'm betting you'll have to shim the starter because of poor mounting hole placement. Happens a lot. These are production blocks. You knew that, right?;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts