Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All took my starter out to change the solenoid (I striped one of the posts). Anyway starter worked fine no noises or grinding. When I inspected the starter I noticed the gear that spins out to engage the flywheel is worn. It is hard to explain but it looks like the gear is worn about 1/8 inch all around.(It almost looks like it was machined that way) I looked at the flywheel and all is cool. is a certain amount of wear acceptable?

Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
worn how and where exactly?
Can you post a pic?
Might not hurt to just chenge out the bendix too, but if you do, be sure to get a genuine delco, same with the solenoid. The parts store ones don't last.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
It is hard to explain but it looks like the gear is worn about 1/8 inch all around.(It almost looks like it was machined that way) I looked at the flywheel and all is cool. is a certain amount of wear acceptable?
Thats reaching the troublesome limit...
If u turn over the engine 90deg u will notice the rest of the teeth are ok...an engine always tends to stop in in the same postion...not going into the whys...
Turning the flywheel/flex plate 90 degs so the worn teeth are fartherest from the starting point saves the cost of a new ring gear.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Chris, If you think that the Bendix gear on the starter is worn, go to your local auto parts store and ask to see a replacement starter and compare the two side by side. If the Bendix gear looks different on the new starter, then go ahead and replace the whole starter. At least by comparing the two starters, you will have a better idea on the condition of the Bendix gear of the original starter.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi There, i have an update on my starter problem. When I took the starter out I notice on of my bolts was loose. The gear is worn exactly like diagram #2 in this link below. anyway I re-installed the starter and now it grinds and screeches real bad when I start it. Would this gear wear cause that?

Thanks
Chris

http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page169.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts