Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance to everyone...

My problem happened today with my starter/soleniod... I drove around and pulled up to a friends house to show him my 69 Camaro, well when i went to re-start the car there was nothing just ignition lights on the dash. Not even a click, so i checked my fuses, battery connections and even the starter switch after all it had ignition power but nothing at the starter/solenoid, i could see the volts drop as i turned the key in the start possition... So what i did was grabbed a screw driver to jump the terminals on the solenoid and it tap the starter over... I then got back in the car and turn the key and it fired right up. Its happened twice today, so do i need both starter and soleniod... I was thinking with my BBC 498 i should invest in a Mini-High-Torque starter...

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Skip, that might be a toss up on which it is. Unless your running some ungodly compression or the starter is prone to get hot I don't see the need to expense out a mini starter. I'd pull the starter though and take off to Autozone and have it checked. I think I'd go for the solenoid failing more than the starter itself.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
From my understanding you had no power at the solenoid with the key in the crank position? If that is the case then you need to look at your wiring and ignition switch. If you had power at your solenoid cranking and heard no click then you need to be looking at the solenoid. My GMPP mini starter works great by the way.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my understanding you had no power at the solenoid with the key in the crank position? If that is the case then you need to look at your wiring and ignition switch. If you had power at your solenoid cranking and heard no click then you need to be looking at the solenoid. My GMPP mini starter works great by the way.
I think your on to something, i have a new ignition switch and all new stock wiring... So it sounds like the ignition switch needs to be aligned at the colum just a hair... But why when i tap the starter with the screw driver to the solenoid, and then the key ignition works fine...

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skip, that might be a toss up on which it is. Unless your running some ungodly compression or the starter is prone to get hot I don't see the need to expense out a mini starter. I'd pull the starter though and take off to Autozone and have it checked. I think I'd go for the solenoid failing more than the starter itself.
I will do the following and also double check my ignition switch to make sure its synchronized with the key/rod...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
I think your on to something, i have a new ignition switch and all new stock wiring... So it sounds like the ignition switch needs to be aligned at the colum just a hair... But why when i tap the starter with the screw driver to the solenoid, and then the key ignition works fine...
If he shorted it at the starter than there should be power coming from the switch to the solenoid, right?. Id just get a minitorq and be done with it. High quality parts for a top-notch machine.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Sounds like heat soak to me. Get a good high torque mini starter and don't look back. I got a powermaster "XS torque" model and it's small and very light, and my car has started quick everytime since I put it on, with my timing locked out at 35* as well.
Plus it's a good looking starter, and I have seen your engine, why does it still have an ugly old stock starter on it anyway? ;)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'm pretty sure he is stating he had no power at the solenoid in the cranking position. If that is the case then he has a wiring or ignition switch problem.:boring:

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm pretty sure he is stating he had no power at the solenoid in the cranking position. If that is the case then he has a wiring or ignition switch problem.:boring:
Todd i let my car set for about 1/2 hour and then try to start with the key and nothing, everything else worked fine lights ignition lights and gauges... So i left the key in the off position, open the hood and reach down to the solenoid with my screw driver to jump the solenoid which it had juice, so i just clicked it. Then jumped in the car and started with the key and it fired right up.

I know why do i have a stock starter, well it may be changed to the mini-starter once i figure this out...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
You still need to verify power to the solenoid(not battery cable) with the ignition switch in the crank position. If the screwdriver bumped the starter then teh solenoid couldn't be recieving juice from your ignition at that point or it would have turned over.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You still need to verify power to the solenoid(not battery cable) with the ignition switch in the crank position. If the screwdriver bumped the starter then teh solenoid couldn't be receiving juice from your ignition at that point or it would have turned over.
10-4 good buddy, im gonna check my ignition switch to make sure it didn't get out of alignment or a wire come loose... I understand what your saying (if there is no power turning the key on to the start position at the starter) and (then when i hot wire it at the solenoid and we have power at the starter) then the only thing it could be is my ignition switch or the wiring from the switch to the seliniod.... Thank you Todd :thumbsup:...

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
If you bumped the starter over with the old screwdriver jumper method, then got in the car and started it, unless you knocked off the starter wire then somehow knocked it back on when you jumped it....... it's not the wiring.
The old wiring could be responsible for not providing the juice to start it while hot, but it sounds more to me like either the starter has a dead spot or you were experiencing heat soak.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you bumped the starter over with the old screwdriver jumper method, then got in the car and started it, unless you knocked off the starter wire then somehow knocked it back on when you jumped it....... it's not the wiring.
The old wiring could be responsible for not providing the juice to start it while hot, but it sounds more to me like either the starter has a dead spot or you were experiencing heat soak.
I will check the wiring from the solenoid to the circuit block and to the ignition switch.. Thanks you i probably have a bad connection at the solenoid, after all i just put the new wiring on and never had any issue until now..

·
Retired
26,644 Posts
Skip if you find it is heat soak or a dead spot I would recomend these guys for a replacment.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com

Call them and see what they recomend for your application, I went with what they sell as "GM stock replacement". It only weighs 8lbs instead of 22 and is a perminate magnet type meaning no field windings to heat soak. They claim these are GM before the labeling goes on, here's a link to what I got 2 years ago and I haven't had a starter problem since. You'll see you can't argue about the price if you compare to a GM/Chevy dealership...
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=30&catid=47&ret=catalog.php?category=47

Here's the thread I started back when I was having a problem...
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110785&highlight=starter

Note that the slight whine I mentioned stopped right away.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I would think it has to be the selenoid wire maybe a bad connection. I have the power master mini. Its a great starter. But I had a simmilar problem. It was the wire coming from ignition. The actual terminal turned too far on me and broke the connection. Had to pull the cap on the seleniod and
I had the resolder the connection. Its fine. If you can click it and then it starts with ignition, it must be a connection. Get the mini starter.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Skip if you find it is heat soak or a dead spot I would recomend these guys for a replacment.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com

Call them and see what they recomend for your application, I went with what they sell as "GM stock replacement". It only weighs 8lbs instead of 22 and is a perminate magnet type meaning no field windings to heat soak. They claim these are GM before the labeling goes on, here's a link to what I got 2 years ago and I haven't had a starter problem since. You'll see you can't argue about the price if you compare to a GM/Chevy dealership...
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=30&catid=47&ret=catalog.php?category=47

Here's the thread I started back when I was having a problem...
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110785&highlight=starter

Note that the slight whine I mentioned stopped right away.
Thank Dennis,
I will read into this tonight after the wife gets home and takes over the puppy/baby siting... You make it very easy for all of us :thumbsup:...

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would think it has to be the selenoid wire maybe a bad connection. I have the power master mini. Its a great starter. But I had a simmilar problem. It was the wire coming from ignition. The actual terminal turned too far on me and broke the connection. Had to pull the cap on the seleniod and
I had the resolder the connection. Its fine. If you can click it and then it starts with ignition, it must be a connection. Get the mini starter.
It sounds very possible, i over tighten everything and may have done just that.. Thank you:yes:.

·
Premium Member
6,550 Posts
Its heat soak, especially if you can start it with a screw driver while still hot/warm.. This is a very common problem.

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its heat soak, especially if you can start it with a screw driver while still hot/warm.. This is a very common problem.
But why all of a sudden, i have hours on it at a time and not a problem until now. Thanks for the info.

·
Super Moderator
32,447 Posts
But why all of a sudden, i have hours on it at a time and not a problem until now. Thanks for the info.
Heat does mysterious things. Once a starter gets heat soaked, its over.

Nice units by Quality Power, all of them. Wished I would have found them years ago, if they were in business. Thanks, Dennis.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts