Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been laying under my car for over A Week!!! I keep Shimming and shimming I have gotten the Starter Tested And Bought A Brand New Battery New battery Cables Everything The wheel in the Starter Gets stuck in the Flex Plate I have nightmares about the damn clicking sound it makes someone help me Im at my end Ive been shimming and half shimming and its getting me no where !!!! Is there A simple Solution???? I kicked the tire and yelled at the car it still doesnt help lol Please Help me!! :( :sad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Different cars have different flex plates. Make sure your starter is for a 168(or whatever) tooth and the flexplate has the same teeth #. Just mark the plate at one spot and roll the motor to count the teeth. I am just making suggestions of course, no insult meant if you have already done this....

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
The flexplate is either a 153 tooth or 168. So if your starter is just spinning and not engaging you probably have the wrong starter. If I remember right either the mounting holes on the starter are different or there is another set of mounting holes in the block. But I don't think that is the case. I replaced my starter a year ago and at first mine just spun. The parts place had given me the wrong starter for my flywheel. I'm thinking that also the mounting bolts are of different lengths. I also have a 350 but it is a 73. You mentioned clicking. Is that from the starter gear drive hitting the flywheel teeth? Or it may be from a bad elec. connection.

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
If it's jamming, shimming it should fix it. If you've got more than 4 shims under the nose cone, I would try a different starter. The mounting surface is machined to a wide tolerance and may just be too tight for your block and flex plate.

·
Registered
601 Posts
theres 2 starters for 153 and 168 tooth flywheels. one is straight mount meaning both starter holes are straight from another and than stagard bolts.sounds like you got a 168 tooth starter for a 153 tooth flywheel. you shouldnt have more than 2 shims in there. did you check old starter to it one starter has 2 long bolts and other has 1 long bolt and a short bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts