Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1969 big block camaro. i have a ford solenoid between the battery and starter. just recently when starting my car the starter would seem to stick and not disengage when starting. it only disengaged when you reved the engine a .little. and it dosnt happen all the time. i changed the solenoid. it got better but did it again. i had the car sitting for about four months. maybe the shaft the gear on starter built up some rust. any ideas or suggestions.

jerry

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Starter loose or out of alignment and the starter is binding?

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Is the starter brace missing? It maintains alignment and often discarded by those thinking it's uneccessary.
X2...make sure you use the starter brace which is available from a number of sources. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
If its 4 speed, use a 3689 starter, with the support brace as mentioned.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response. I never had a problem with the starter before. And it never had a brace on it. I read a few posts that said the ford solenoid creates a magnetic field. I had never heard that before. I went to start my camaro and it did it once and then fired up normally the next five times.
I was thinking of putting the starter wiring back to stock. Does anyone know the wiring for hookup for the starter?

Jerry

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
The brace is important on a stock starter, as are the correct knurled starter bolts.

Stock wiring: Purple wire to the "S" terminal on solenoid - that's the one closest to the engine block. Yellow wire to "R" terminal on starter (the other one!), and the other end of the yellow wire to the + terminal on the coil. The yellow wire can be eliminated if you have electronic ignition.

I have heard of an external solenoid causing problems with Permanent Magnet starters hanging up, depending on how they are wired. http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/faq-starter.html You didn't say which type starter you have.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I read a few posts that said the ford solenoid creates a magnetic field.
All solenoids will create a magnetic field. All they are is an electro-magnet that pulls the bendix in to engage the starter gear with the flywheel and to complete the electrical circuit from the battery to the starter windings. I don't think the Furd solenoid is causing your problem unless it is sticking. Next time it sticks, put a voltmeter to the start terminal of the solenoid and see if it still reads 12VDC. Maybe something in the key switch is messed up (or something is shorted to it) and it's staying engaged because it is being told so.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
If you have a permanent magnent type starter try wiring the solenoid as shown on the attached sketch. This worked for me.

As mentioned a permanent magnent starter can produce power for a few seconds after start up and lead to an annoying delay in the solenoid release.
you will note this is not the same wiring diagram you'll get with an aftermarket solenoid.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
The brace is important on a stock starter, as are the correct knurled starter bolts.
Yep
And that effects alignment...general sympotom is intermitant not disengange..also mentioned above
Then another is lubing the benex assemble...ALWAYS reassemble dry

Using the ford soleniod, so here I assume its because that good old so called heat sink issue....which is too much intial (not idle ) advance, drawing way to much 1st intial and running current, over heating and burning the solenoid copper dsc contacts AND semi melting the armiture solder jointsa causing dry joints that open when warm.
The reason manufactures all around the world had low intial advance.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
But I think what he is saying is that he never had a brace and the starter worked fine. When did Chevy start including the brace on the starter. I don't think my 69 had one when I took delivery in April 1969.

alan

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
But I think what he is saying is that he never had a brace and the starter worked fine. When did Chevy start including the brace on the starter. I don't think my 69 had one when I took delivery in April 1969.

alan
Just because it worked fine without it does not mean it's absence did not cause the present problem. I've been saving these discarded braces for years by those who thought they were useless. Brace data here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4562.0

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
My 69 has its orginal brace..and other stuff like that incuding to wire rope cable for the engine mounts...and as far as I know all blocks had them , I cant rem a block that doesnt have the brace tapped bolt hole

Yes many now dont have them and work fine....then put a new starter in and often have issues...Just as with the wire rope engine mount bit, all the grounding wires and many other bits...they are not needed 100% of the time on 100% of the cars....but are ther fore those cars that may have problems not to have them and GM picks up the PR for reliabity...Hell I cant rem the last time I used my E brake, but Im not going to throw it way, I may need it one day.....check mixtures in gear maybe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts