Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post some basic info to clarify what I found out about the purple and yellow wires going to the starter, for any future searchers. As part of a bigger project, I bought a new starter and when I tried to install it I couldn’t figure where the yellow wire goes. Lots of old posts about it that didn’t clarify. Solutions either involved taping it off or combining with the purple wire. Turns out that the reman shop sold me a starter with only 1 small terminal instead of 2. They actually are called 3 terminal or 4 terminal solenoids (includes battery and solenoid to starter terminals). Since I didn’t know there was a difference, it took me quite a while to get it resolved. I had even taken a picture as I was disassembling it but the yellow wire terminal was hidden. Hoping this post might save someone a little grief in the future.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what was your solution?
Lol, sorry, that was the whole point of the post! I went back to the reman shop and they replaced the solenoid with the correct one. They admitted that they should have looked at my core and given me the same one to begin with. Took me 2 trips to Autozone (I have a 168 tooth plate and they kept selling me me starters for 153 tooth) and 3 trips to the reman shop to finally get it done.

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Lol, sorry, that was the whole point of the post! I went back to the reman shop and they replaced the solenoid with the correct one. They admitted that they should have looked at my core and given me the same one to begin with. Took me 2 trips to Autozone (I have a 168 tooth plate and they kept selling me me starters for 153 tooth) and 3 trips to the reman shop to finally get it done.
Had the same issue years ago getting a starter to fit a 168 tooth and be reasonably quiet. Went through several until I found the one that worked. When it got weak I took it to the reman and said "Fix This One" no exchange. All is still well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts