Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it possible to get a starter with the diagonal bolt pattern that fits an 11" ring gear? The block is not the original i think early 70's and my starter doesnt have the same bolt pattern and the starter with the right bolt pattern needs a bigger flywheel which my bellhousing cant fit.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
If your block only has the diagonal starter bolt pattern, you have two options - drill and tap the block for the inboard straight-across bolt pattern hole for the small-flywheel starter, or swap out your bellhousing and flywheel for the larger ones so you can use your existing diagonal starter bolt pattern. As far as I know, there is no diagonal-pattern starter that will work with the small flywheel.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
170 Posts
On a "stock" chevy starter the nose piece is usually interchangeable....you can take one off and put the other on..have done this several times

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, the noses are interchangeable, but changing them will offset the starter for the larger (or the smaller)_ ring gear. You're best bet is to drill and tap the block for the straight pattern. Just bolt the starter with the one bolt that will work (outside) and make sure it's straight, then center punch (or take a 3/8 drill and just make a mark in the block using the starter bolthole as a guide) then drill and tap, cast iron drills and taps like a dream, you can do it with the engine in the car, just take your time.
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts