Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are installing a GM gear reduction stater on my ZZ383. The shiming looks to be ok but the starter won't disengage after it's bumped over. The motor hasn't been started yet because it's brand new but what I was wanting to know is the starter supposed to disengage after bumping it or will it have to start completely up? It had the purple and yellows wire on it and we only used the purple. We only did this to make sure it was going to work upon start up. Thanks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I also have a GM staggered mini starter that does the same thing in my 406. I tried shimming, not shimming and it's the same thing. I'm going to try another starter that I ordered and see what happens. In my case it seems like the starter drive gear does not spring back when it's suppose to.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i use the jegs minis and the instructions say that they will stay out(the bendix) until the engine is running...the inertia from the spinning flywheel or flexplate will throw the bendix back in when the engine starts...you`re probably seeing the same thing...big gm starters have a spring in the soleniod to retract the bendix...i believe not the case with a mini...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The starter I have is a GM gear reduction starter p/n 12363128. Do you think that this would disengage after it starts?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
can you push the bendix gear out of the flywheel by finger???if there is no bind and you can retract the bendix by finger, then yes the motor will throw the bendix off of the flexplate so you will be fine...ofcorse, i dont know if the starter needs to be shimmed or not, but you will be able to hear if it does or not when you start it the first time...

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What would happen if you added another shim,..perhaps he thinnest one. If it engages but won't disengage you may be on the edge of clearance which would get worse once everything heated up.

Try it first,..inexpensive test.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts