Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, I've searched this topic and am now about ready to torch the car.

I have a push button to crank the motor, for many reasons I won't go into here.

My problem, is I cannot remember which wires go where.

Aside fromt the battery cable, I am now completely lost.

Right now, I have one each from harness (new stock).

Yellow
Brown with large hole connector (to center post with battery?)
Blue or purple

I have the blue/purple wire spliced with the hot from the push button. Car will crank and fire but will not continue giving spark when button is not engaged.

I tried switching posts, and got lots of heat on wires to coil, but no circuit on coil. Does the hot from switch go with yellow wire? I had this working two years ago, and am ready to fire motor again and can't remember.

Any ideas?

Jim

·
Registered
523 Posts
"I have the blue/purple wire spliced with the hot from the push button. Car will crank and fire but will not continue giving spark when button is not engaged."

Sounds like you may be looking in the wrong place. After you release the push button, the coil does not get any power from the starter. It gets power from the original resistor wire coming in from the firewall.
1, Disconnect the resistor wire from coil (+).
2, Turn the key switch to ON.
3, Measure the resistor wire to ground with a meter. You should have around 12 volts on that wire.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So should I just ignore purple/blue and splice yellow with hot from starter? The harness hes a yellow and a pink for positive side of coil.

Jim

·
Registered
523 Posts
Where is pink coming from? Do you still have to turn a key to ON with your pushbutton set-up? The yellow from the starter/solenoid only has power as long as the starter is spinning.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pink is from harness by firewall for coil, along with yellow. I believe pink is the resistor wire.

Yes I need to key 'on' before it will start, hot button is wired to switched circuit.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
32,445 Posts
Everything JohnM suggested is correct.

My addage is:
Wire your start switch between the bat terminal of the solenoid and "S" terminal, purple wire.
"R" terminal on the solenoid gets the yellow wire and goes to the + side of coil. Pink wire goes to + side of coil for gauge power.

Now to keep engine running after starting, current flows through solenoid from S term to R term when solenoid is engaged for starting, but, not when disengaged, either keep the IGN key "ON" or splice in another wire from the BAT terminal on the solenoid, with a toggle switch and attach it to the resistive wire at the firewall plug to keep the original ignition characteristics as if the IGN key is "ON." Keep the IGN key "OFF."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts