Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never paid attention to the wires coming to the starter - until now....

I am putting a Hi-Torque starter on and it doesn't have the same wire setup -

On a standard starter I have 4 wires - 1 to the battery (no problem) - 1 to the starter itself (again - no problem) - then there is a smaller red wire (ignition?)next to the block and a small dark blue away from the block (what's this go to??)

Car is '67 RS/SS 350/PG (153 tooth)

Steve

·
Registered
501 Posts
If your 67 has the original wiring harness, it shouldn't have more than three wires that go to the starter solenoid...the big'un from the battery, a small one which goes to the terminal closest to the block and an even smaller (diameter) one which goes to the last terminal.

A fourth wire may indicate a prob with one of these wires...it may have been used as a jumper from the ignition...don't know.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sleepy-69:

It is the original harness - the fourth I speak of is really the connection of the solinoid to the starter -

So - what are the two little ones for??

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had the same problem on my 68 when I switched. I can't remember the exact colors, but the extra wire is the direct 12 volts to the coil as mentioned above. My original starter had a forth terminal for it that the mini-starter did not have so it was easy to tell which one didn't belong. I removed the whole wire on mine (and it does not make any difference as I upgraded my ignition long ago-the old stuff needed all the help it could get!!!). I would leave it unhooked at coil and starter for a little while just to make sure rather than ripping it out right away.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts