Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished installing a new MSD 6a ignition with a MSD distributor with a new wiring harness and a new starter. The starter worked while the engine was being dyno tested. Now when I try to start the engine for the first time in the car the starter will spin but not engage. I am not sure if the MSD ignition has me wiring up the starter correctly. Right now there is one connection from the solenoid to the purple wire on the wiring harness. This is suppose to be the ignition switch wire. I have the battery connected to the starter alond with the power feed from the MSD6. There is nothing connected to the thrid terminal on the starter. Normally this would wire up to the coil. However MSD states not to wire anything else to the coil.

Am I missing something? Or is my starter just bad?

·
Super Moderator
32,521 Posts
Your post reads correctly. Purple wire to SOL terminal.

You might disconnect the MSD box and try to start just to see if engine spins. But, it sounds like starter may be bad.

Remove starter from engine and bench test with jumper cables.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

·
10,153 Posts
if it's a mini-starter, make sure you are using the correct pair of holes for the diameter flywheel you are using.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

1 - 3 of 3 Posts