Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The starter on my 69 temperally died yesterday after I drove 25 minutes. I have headers on the car and I know they cook starters. When the starter cooled down it starts fine. I have driven the car longer and this has never happened before. Do I have to find a way to keep it cooler,or does it need to be rebuilt or both? Thanks Cary

------------------
69 Z-28 R/S:Daytona Yellow,Blk Vinyl Top,X33,DZ302,M21,4.10 Posi,Dlx interior,8k tach,console and guages,wood wheel and dash,ZL2 ducted hood,endura bumper,30300 miles.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Cary,

You can put a F--d starter relay on it and it will fix this problem.

Mount the relay and take the purple wire from your starter to the small terminal on new relay marked "S". Then run 10 ga. wire from hot on starter solonoid to one side of the new relay, then run a 10 ga. wire from the other side of relay to your starter to where you removed the purple wire.

Be sure you have a nut for "S" term on the new relay before you leave the parts store because they normally don't come with the relay.

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
The relay recomendation should solve your problem but if you keep having it, you may want to verify for worn out starter bushings.

·
Registered
960 Posts
i added the f--d starter relay to my big block and haven't had any troubles. you know, this could be the "better idea", that they always claim they have.
bruce

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advise. So the solonoid is the problem? My car is bone stock so mounting a F-RD part on my car is not an option. The soloniod doesn't click or anything,when I turn the key? Any other ideas?

------------------
69 Z-28 R/S:Daytona Yellow,Blk Vinyl Top,X33,DZ302,M21,4.10 Posi,Dlx interior,8k tach,console and guages,wood wheel and dash,ZL2 ducted hood,endura bumper,30300 miles.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I don't know if F**D had they better idea when they designed the assist relay. I think they did it to turn over those high compression motors trying to keep up with the bowties!

------------------
------------------
Mark

1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Classic Industries also makes a solenoid heat shield for $14 plus $8 for a retaining nut. Page 488 catalog c2000.
I used it when I rebuilt my motor and have had no problems.

·
Registered
715 Posts
$8 retaining nut, sounds like a government contract

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a "special" retaining nut...does that help?

69 z28 (clone) w/502/502
69 Yenko

·
Registered
715 Posts
was just messing around. I know some parts aren't cheap

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

·
Registered
288 Posts
The reason the starter don't click is because it is hot and heat causes resistance, and to over come resistance one must up volts/amperage.

If the *#@^ solonoid is not an option then try a new starter, and the shield, and the cheap nut. but being it's stock the starter only will likely fix it.

Larry

·
Registered
6 Posts
the most common cause for your problem is running a cheap rebuilt starter propably for 350 aplication.if you have a BB insist on a bb aplication,i use 75 chevy truck/454

·
10,144 Posts
Make shure the safety switch on the steering column is not going bad, I'd replace it and see if it helps.
Auto trans - it's a neutral safety switch.
Manual trans - it won't allow the engine to start unless it's in reverse.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327
69 Camaro Vintage Racer
65 Lola T-70 Can Am Vintage Racer

·
Registered
17 Posts
We may be troubleshooting the same problem.

Listen to Dave and see my 89 Camaro Starting Problem posting. I will let you know by Friday 11/03/00 or sooner if the neutral safety switch did not solve my problem.

Mack

·
Registered
185 Posts
How many cold cranking amps does your battery have? I had the same starter problem years ago. The solution - I went with a battery with a higher cca rating. I went with a 1000 cca battery, but anything with over 800 cold cranking amps should do the trick.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the advise! I know my problem is heat related because when the starter cools down it starts and cranks fine. I'm going to try the solenoid heat sheild and special nut. I think I'll have the starter rebuilt and replace the solenoid just to be safe. Cary

------------------
69 Z-28 R/S:Daytona Yellow, Blk Vinyl Top, X33, DZ302, M21, 4.10 Posi, Dlx interior, 8k tach, console and guages, wood wheel and dash, ZL2 ducted hood, endura bumper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts