Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may see from my posts, I am starting to restore a 69 firebird. I will be removing rearend and front sub frame and putting it on the familiar jig described on this forum many times.

My question:
I need to do both floor pans (maybe full floorpan..). The convertible braces under the pans need replaced as well. Do I remove and replace the pan and then the braces? Or do I leave the pan alone and replace the braces then the pan? Or do I just remove everything and then install pan and then braces?
ARGH!!!! So many ways to go! Of course I will have interior braces installed to keep everything in line.
I really appreciate everyone's input!

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
You know if you have access to a jig because it's a conv, you're just as well to replace the entire thing. Too many details if you replace this then that. Good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Totally understand that. Thanks. Do I just measure and then remove the entire pan and braces all at once then? Install the pan and then reinstall the braces? Sorry for the noob questions about a floor pan ....

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would highly recommend buying a 69 Firebird assembly manual. Also for Firebird specific questions you may want to sign on with PY online forums, it's a good site for Pontiacs only. Good luck on your project.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I actually have every factory service and body/chassis manual for the car already. Had them for years! I started posting here because of some restorations I see being documented already. Probably should go to a pontiac site but you all have been very helpful and in reality there is very little difference in the processes between the cars. Maybe I'll lay low after I start the restoration. Don't want to rock any boats!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found my answer in tp_smith post 120 of his build. Remove everything, install floor and then install braces. Must have overlooked that first time I read through. Thanks all!

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
There are several members here who have already restored birds or are in the process of restoring and or converting birds to Camaros.

Our community as a whole seems to be of a general acceptance of the bird community. We understand the Team Camaro community is unique in experience and numbers compared to the Firebird group. It is understandable and expected that Firdbird owners would seek our advice and expertise. I myself would not kick a 69 bird out of my garage if one pulled in.

That said the benefits of owning a factory assembly manual aka AIM can not be stressed. You may get a general feel for something from the Camaro AIM but you really should have the Firebird AIM for the details.

So keep at it cousin and share your build with us. I look forward to the interior work as well as the bodywork updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
As far as the floor and braces go, the Camaro and Firebird use identical pieces. In fact almost all my Firebird parts are labeled Camaro. I assume the installation procedure of the parts will be identical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts