Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, hoping to find some direction on a starting issue. I have a 69 Camaro with a 350 small block. The car has a mini starter on it and headers. I am finding that the car turns over great cold but after I drive it and park it in the garage and then try to restart it turns over very hard and slow. If feels as if the battery is dead. If I put it on the charger within a minute or so it turns over fine again. The battery is only a year old and at rest cold measures 12.7 or 12.8 volts. If I have the charger floating on it then it goes to 13.1 or so but then drops back to 12.7 or 12.8. When I do the alternator check the voltage reads in the high 13's so I am assuming that the alternator it working fine.

In the past I cleaned all the ground terminal connections on the block and frame. I am thinking about installing a remote starter solenoid as a solution. Does that sound like a good idea or do you think there is a different issue. Thanks for the input.

·
13,830 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
As John stated already, You most likely have a dying battery. A car battery can show 12.8 volts and appear to be fully charged, but not have enough amperage to turn the engine over. That is the CCA rating on the battery. Take it to your local auto parts store and have them test it. They will load test it and it will most likely fail the load test. It will cost you nothing to test it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, guys. Given that the battery is only a year or 2 old I figured that wouldn't be it. I will take it up to the parts store and see what the test does. I forgot to mention the car also has a 4 speed muncie.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have had a new battery fail after about 8 months. If you have a receipt or the place of purchase has a record of your purchase, they will most likely warranty the battery if that is the issue. My battery had 1 bad cell that would slowly drain the battery so the car wouldn't start, but would start after a fresh charge.

Something in the car might be slowly draining the battery as well. I typically test the battery by taking it out of the car, fully charging it, checking the voltage, and then checking again the next day. I also have a battery cell tester (wet) that checks eats cell. But if you take it to an auto parts store they should be able to figure out the issue for you as suggested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any particular battery or cranking amp specification that is working well for guys? I know there are tons of options out there and if I have to replace it I would like to choose one people have had success with. Thanks

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Get as high of cranking amps as you can, also be sure your cables are good and heavy gauge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just had Oreilly test out the battery. The guy said the battery is good and that I don't need a replacement. I did notice that it is a marine battery, Exide Nautilus 24msx , 650/525 amps. Would the fact that it is marine make a difference? I believe the cables are 4 Gauge. Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,485 Posts
Probably wear in the starter armature. The charger gives it just a little more bump to cross over. That's my guess.

·
13,830 Posts
I just had Oreilly test out the battery. The guy said the battery is good and that I don't need a replacement. I did notice that it is a marine battery, Exide Nautilus 24msx , 650/525 amps. Would the fact that it is marine make a difference? I believe the cables are 4 Gauge. Thanks
Do you any idea of How many times Oreilly and Autozone test and say no problem?

Been there done that more than a few times.

I tell them NO the battery isn't right and they end up giving me a new one. Guess what? The new one has always solved my issues.

They charge it up and test it. Not with starting load and no test to see that it holds the full charge

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vega$69, what battery did you end up going with in your camaro? I'm not saying what they told me is right, it's just what I have to go off of. The battery is not orignally from Oreilly. Thanks

·
13,830 Posts
I like Optima Red. But also good with the Lead/Acid from Interstate or even Duralast. I get the 2 year free replacement ones. The desert is brutal for batteries.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Vega$69. Yesterday I drove the car a bunch starting and stopping without issues. I am going to do the same today and see what happens. Then figure out a course of action. The starter I have now is a PWM - 9100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went ahead and bought a new Interstate Battery. MTD-34. I definitely notice that it turns the starter much faster than the old battery. I am going to cruise tomorrow and see what happens.

As a side question I have a Summit Carb, SUM-M08600VS, that is fed by Carter Mechanical Pump, M4685. I currently do not have a pressure regulator on it. Would you recommend one for that fuel pump? I know it is a cheap pump.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
The Cater M4685 pump that you have is a stock replacement pump and puts out a maximum pressure of 7 psi. You do not need a fuel pressure regulator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts