Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im trying to start my engine that hasnt ran in ten years. the engine is turning when i crank it and its getting fuel but im not getting spark. ive even hooked up the spark plug to the coil and the spark plug isnt sparking. its the coil thats bad, right? i ask because i bought the coil new about seven years ago and im not sure if the coil can go bad.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
Have you checked the points to see if they open/close? Is the condensor intact? Have you checked the rotor and checked the cap for rust cracks ? Be sure that the coil is getting power. Have you touched the coil and found it red hot after a few seconds cranking? I would start checking above first. After you are getting spark...be sure its timmed properly and the wires are on where they belong. Firing order 18436572

Kev

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i failed to mention that i have a mallory magnetic breakerless distibutor and a msd 6a box. i have checked the cap and rotor for rust cracks and there arent any. i havent check to see if the coil get red hot after a few seconds of cranking. if it gets red hot, what does that mean?

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
David...
It means its shorted. You failed to mention electronic ignition and mad box :) I see you posted again in the Engine section, so follow up on the posts for you there. Not good to have two topics on the same problem in two forums.

Kev

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i realized later that i posted in the wrong section... oops. im posted in the engine forum now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts