Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this ad in the tech section and just realized that there is a troubleshooting section. I do not know how to move it so please forgive me.

I started my car up last weekend and moved it outside to let it warm up. I went back in the garage and continued working. With all the noise from the compressor and heater, I failed to notice that the car had stalled and could have been sitting there for 20 minutes that way. When I went to restart the car, it would crank but got no spark. I have checked several things and replaced a few to try to eliminate the problem.

I replaced the coil and points and condensor.

I checked the voltage on the positive terminal of the coil and get about 8.1 volts without cranking and 10.0 while cranking. I have checked and there does not seem to be any spark coming from the coil into the coil wire. There is no spark going to the plugs either.

the white resistor wire that attaches to the + terminal of the coil seems to be getting hot.

any help or suggestions?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, it does have a yellow wire that runs to the solenoid. it is on the same terminal as the resistor wire

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You'll only get 9-10V cranking due to the starter pulling system voltage down. That's why the yellow wire is there....the resistor wire already causes a voltage drop at the coil so it would really be handicapped without the yellow wire.

Most likely a point adjustment. You did the right thing to replace everything because if the car shut off and the engine happened to stop with the points closed and the key on "RUN" it would've baked everything anyway. You won't see spark coming from the coil with the coil plug disconnected because it will be a constant voltage. The resistor wire will get hot in normal usage.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have tried just about everything. I replaced the cap, rotor, points, condensor. I was hoping that the new points would be close enough to get it started then set it with the dwell meter. I even pulled the dist out and set them and put it back in. still no fire.

Someone suggested running a hot wire to the battery from the positive coil terminal. That still didnt work.

any more suggestions anyone?

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Bad Coil? I know you said you replaced the coil but any possibility it is bad? If you replaced the points and nothing hot is grounding out, there really isn't too much else that can go wrong. I did see you went with a jumper directly from the battery to the coil so we can rule out wiring from ignition switch to the coil.

You can disconnect the distributor at the coil and test it with a multimeter. That would rule out the distributor as far as the electrics go. With the points opened there should not be any contiuity between the distributor wire and ground. With the points closed, you should have a complete circuit to ground. Also, check the condensor. There should be no continuity between the lead and the case when it is disconnected.

alan

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Alan. I checked the distributor for continuity and that was the problem. It turns out that the new points that I bought were bad. I cant believe everything I went through and it was just the points. I guess I got a new cap and rotor and coil now. At least it is running now! Many thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Thanks Alan. I checked the distributor for continuity and that was the problem. It turns out that the new points that I bought were bad. I cant believe everything I went through and it was just the points. I guess I got a new cap and rotor and coil now. At least it is running now! Many thanks to everyone.
:beers: A friend of mine went thru the exact same thing with her new minivan a few years ago. Car quits, diagnosis-bad fuel pump. Pump replaced, car keeps stalling. After many trips to the dealership, area supervisors etc. turns out the "new" replacement fuel pump was faulty.

Never assume anything.

alan

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
Did I ever tell you guys my "points" story?:)
You're gonna get no matter what.
OK, Sailboat. Atomic 4 Model-A gas engine. New points. Traveled 8 hours to the San Juan Islands. Engine tried to die while pulling into an achorage. Went to the marina instead. Trouble shot for two days. Replaced the coil and points. Checked everything. Hell, the boat was only 3 years old. What gives?
All it could be was TWO sets of bad points IN A ROW.:confused: Sputtered to Friday Harbor, scored DELCO points, end of problem.:cool:

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
All it could be was TWO sets of bad points IN A ROW. Sputtered to Friday Harbor, scored DELCO points, end of problem.
I learnt the hard way decades ago.....wipe cardboard betwen the contacts before installing....wipe the anti corrosion stuff /oil off 8 time out of 10 doesnt matter, the 1 other time garanteed Murphy will step in at the worst possible time.

·
Premium Member
8,375 Posts
I learnt the hard way decades ago.....wipe cardboard betwen the contacts before installing....wipe the anti corrosion stuff /oil off 8 time out of 10 doesnt matter, the 1 other time garanteed Murphy will step in at the worst possible time.
Yeah, I learned too. Stop using points.:yes:

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Yeah, I learned too. Stop using points.
LMAO....yeah back then we didnt have HEI....and even now there is no HEI for my vintages...Jowett went out of business in 1954...and the GM module and pick up will not fit into the dizzy...way to small...only 2 cyclinder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts