Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a '67 Camaro with Holley 4 brl carburetor. I cannot start it for the last few days. The engine turns over without any problems. I think gas gets to the carb, because I can smell it after I try to start it. I pulled one of the wires from a spark plug, and I get a spark. The manual choke does not work very well, but I can open or close it manually, and it still won’t start. Does any body have some ideas?

Thank you,

Len

·
Registered
249 Posts
You need gas, spark and timing to run a engine. Just because you smell gas, does not mean you are getting gas. Try the easy things first. See if gas is squirting in the carb, or try some quick start spray to see if it will start for a few seconds. If it is a gas problem you need to check the fuel pump or bad fuel hoses that might be sucking air. Check a couple of plugs to see if they are fouled. Check your timing. Bring number one to top dead center, take off your dist cap and see if your dist rotor is pointing to the number one spark plug wire. Those are the easy things to start with. Can someone else ad to this ???

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Excellent 101 Jim. Those tests will either solve the problem or get you very close to figuring out the root cause.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts