Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages of a rest on my 68 convertible. I could use some input here. My plans are to install two 80% quarters,outer wheelhouses and trunk dropoffs. I have the doors already reskinned and hung.The car is already gutted. I'm going to pull the rear and subframe and put the shell on the rotisserie and sandblast the underneath and paint. Now i figure i should hang the quarters and wheelhouses first while the car is still intact, then put it on the rotisserie and blast. What do you think?It would be nice to blast before i hang the quarters,but the rear and front clip need to be removed, but i need that stuff to hang the quarters. Also any comments on the best place to seam the 80% quarters on a convertible? I want the seam to be undetectable from inside the trunk.Any pics would be great. I also am replacing the lower and upper dash panels, any advice would be helpful.Thanks

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ochrisl,
Leaving an undectable seam on the inside of 80% quarters is tough, especially over the wheelhouses. You can easily hide the rear portion of the seam but it's easiest if you could butt weld the quarters. A piece of advice is to do your dash COMPLETELY before you start any other projects on the car. I'm not saying do this first but I am saying you should complete the installation before you start anything else. It wouldn't hurt if you braced the car under the cowl where the subframe bolts on either. Don't lift it, just brace it (a little insurance against body movement).
As for putting the car on a rotisserie, how strong is the body of the car now? Is the floor solid? Are the rear frame rails solid? I would probably install the wheellhouses, 1/4 panels and floor extentions first but some people would say this is bassackwards. You are going to want to clean all the welds anyway for proper paint adhesion and this way you could save a little time. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
I had to do exactly what you are going to do. The only difference is that I have a coupe and my quarters were installed back in 1982 and were perfect. After sandblasting on the rotisserie, we found out what we actually needed to do. I found out I needed rockers, trunk dropoffs and the lower part of my wheel wells. It sure was easier installing these while the car was on the rotisserie. We left the quarters alone, although we had to fix some old stitch welds and take out some brass that was used to hang them. We ended up rewelding them. They were full quarters. I would think you would want to brace your convert and install the outer wells, drop offs and quarters first. The wells and dropoffs are easier to install with the quarters out of the way. I always thought my car was virtually rust free. I was shocked how much rust we ended up finding after blasting. I never drove my car in winter,but I guess after 34 years these cars just simply rust. Good Luck with your resto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts