Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 327 motor just rebuilt and put back in car. It starts right up but as soon as i let go of the key it shuts down. Turn key and give it a little gas-starts right up-let the key go-shuts off.Once in a while it will stay running as long as i give it gas-take foot off the pedal-shuts down. When i can can get it to run[while giving it gas]the generator light in the dash stays on. I had the alternator,voltage regulator,coil and battery tested and all are good.All spark plugs are dry.Could i maybe have the distributor in backwards? Any other ideas-also i do not have an exhaust system on the car yet-just exhaust manifolds.

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Do you have BOTH wires connected to the coil (+) terminal? The one from the "R" terminal on the starter provides a full 12 volts to the coil during cranking (and is apparently connected), and the other one, which is the resistance wire from the ignition switch that provides reduced current with the key in the "on" position - if this second wire is not connected, it will run only in the "start" position.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yep, sounds like no power to the coil in the 'on' position.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts