Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put in these Hedman headers that are very similar to the model I took out which had about 1/4”-1/2” clearance to the steering box without any obvious reworking. I wasn’t expecting to have this issue. These are making contact, see where the blue tape is (I used the tape to protect them but now I can’t get it all off). Do I need to take them out and massage them or can I leave them? What will happen if I leave them? If I have to rework them, how do I do it without damaging the ceramic coating? Will a plastic mallet work?

·
Premium Member
4,298 Posts
If you leave it as is it may wear a hole in the header. Remove it, put a few layer's of tape on it and tap around easy to move the metal in slightly.

Reactions: FbodyMike

·
20,439 Posts
Being that close and touching is it bakes the grease in the steering gear box over time which can lead to bearing and seal failure.

You can "massage" that spot to give 1/2" or so clearance to help prevent or prolong it ?

Reactions: 3forme

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both good points. It wasn‘t as hard to get in and out initially as I feared, so I’ll do it again.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meet my little friend:

Plastic mallet definitely not up to the job.

Problem solved:

Thanks for the ideas, it was definitely easier to get them in and out the second time.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
A little late, but mine has been touching since 2006 with no issues. For those that may have the same issue, do what you did or grind the corner on the steering box.

·
Premium Member
4,596 Posts
You would think by now the manufacturers would have this figured out.

·
Registered
Mike
629 Posts
Just curious.... Do you have the Hedman header part # of the one's that fit?.... and also the part # of the headers that you had to dent?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Just installed a set of flowtech and they fit perfect. . . . .are all the engine mounts correct? Some of the imports are different slightly from original.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious.... Do you have the Hedman header part # of the one's that fit?.... and also the part # of the headers that you had to dent?
The old ones are Hedman 68720, the new ones are 68278. The old ones are very old, the old gasket style and very rusted. The two models are supposed to be interchangeable. It's possible that they have changed slightly since the original were made. I didn't note in my initial posting that I have close ratio steering. In theory, neither Hedman model should have fit, but I figured that if the old one fit, that the new one should also. Wasn't that difficult to get them to fit, I was just surprised that I had to. There are very few headers that claim to fit with close ratio steering. Given that I really wanted the matte silver ceramic coating and didn't want to have to farm it out, I would still get the Hedman's again. With a lot of tape and a hammer, they look fine and the coating did not scratch or chip.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just installed a set of flowtech and they fit perfect. . . . .are all the engine mounts correct? Some of the imports are different slightly from original.
I didn't install the mounts so it's possible that they are not right, although they look correct. As I noted just now in my response to Mike, I didn't put in my original post that I have close ratio steering. Very few headers are supposed to fit.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
What box do you have? I have a car with an IROC close ratio steering that is the same dimensions as the original steering box that I took out. It is my understanding GM boxes have different internals for different ratio, but the box is the same

1 - 14 of 14 Posts