Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just bough a '67 with a terrible suspension among other things.

The steering rack (powered), tie rod ends, and most of the bushings in the front need to be replaced.

Which steering rack would you recommend?
The car is equipped with tubular lower arms - would standard bushings typically fit into these?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
Most rack conversions are designed around a specific rack. Maybe post up some pics and someone might recognize it. Why does it need to be replaced? Is it leaking?

Rack conversions are not real popular on this site. They have inherent geometry issues.

Don

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
692 Posts
So, just to clarify the car currently has rack and pinion steering and not a stock style steering box. This cars didn’t leave the factory with rack and pinion steering.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sounds like you've got a lot of mixed and matched aftermarket parts in your front suspension and this is where things get tricky. As Don noted, certain rack conversions are designed for certain racks and this kind of follows through with other things such as bushings in tubular arms etc. Short of scrapping the entire setup and starting with a much better front suspension system, you'll need to tell us exactly what parts have been used, if you know this of course, so we can advise a best way forward.

·
Premium Member
5,685 Posts
That is just a steering box, not a rack and pinion. AGR has a decent quick ratio steering box that is reasonably priced.

Hoses look néw so the box might be too.

Don

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Crank the steering wheel all the way left and then all the way right while counting the revolutions. Tell us how many turns are built into the steering box.

The entire front suspension (A-arm bushings, ball joints, springs, etc.) can be replaced (people do it every day). All the components of the steering gear are also readily available and easily swapped over for new ones. If you want to find out what specifically is worn, have a helper turn the steering wheel from left to right while you observe each component from underneath or just to the side of underneath. Replace the stuff that flops around.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,495 Posts
In addition to using their ball joints, I replaced most everything connected to the steering system with Pro Forged parts. It's not very difficult, and I love Pro Forge's million mile warranty. But seriously, they make very high quality steering parts, give them a look. If you do the ball joints, consider the tall uppers. There's plenty of alternatives to the sloppy steering boxes from custom made to using something like a Jeep Grand Cherokee Box (fully interchangeable and reasonably fast). I'm very happy with my JGC box.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro RS/SS
162 Posts
Those rebuild boxes are a crap shoot. Ask me how I know.

Buy a new box in fast ratio. Stay away from variable ratio if you’re looking for a better feel.

Once all the parts are tight in the front end, you will likely want to improve your alignment by putting more caster into the car than was original. This usually involves new upper arms, at least.

good luck.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I got my fast ratio from a regular auto parts store. I rolled a 7.

X2 on the tall upper ball joints.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
If all else fails, I've been using a 1980 Trans Am WS6 unit since around 2000. Just installed the FLARE piece to accept the OEM lines and went on. Works great. I payed nothing for mine, a friend had 8 WS6's in his back yard he was parting out.

Reactions: 57vette

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just bough a '67 with a terrible suspension among other things.

The steering rack (powered), tie rod ends, and most of the bushings in the front need to be replaced. As already noted, you have a standard ( non rack) steering box.

Which steering rack would you recommend? Going cheap, get a box for a late 80s IROC Camaro. Better = AGR, Detroit Speed 600 box. or TurnOne

The car is equipped with tubular lower arms - would standard bushings typically fit into these? Looks like tubular upper arms with Delrin bushings also, surprised they're worn out ?

Thank you.
P.S.T. sells front end kits.
Do you have anyone familiar with these old cars to take a look at it for you ?

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
692 Posts
To the OP, there is no rack in your stock style steering so you don’t want to use that term to describe it. The IROC box is a popular switch but it does not turn as far as the stock box so it will be quicker but your turning radius will be larger. I got the Lares 972 which is a very quick steering box at 10:1. It took a minute to get used to but I like it. They told me the steering arm would degree of sweep that a stock box does so I should have the same turning radius. I also got all new ProForged parts for the steering linkage but have not installed it yet.

·
Premium Member
2,600 Posts
To the OP, there is no rack in your stock style steering so you don’t want to use that term to describe it. The IROC box is a popular switch but it does not turn as far as the stock box so it will be quicker but your turning radius will be larger. I got the Lares 972 which is a very quick steering box at 10:1. It took a minute to get used to but I like it. They told me the steering arm would degree of sweep that a stock box does so I should have the same turning radius. I also got all new ProForged parts for the steering linkage but have not installed it yet.
I have a 10:1 box also. The part that kinda sux is it doesn’t alway cancel the turn signal now,
since you don’t have to turn the wheel as far anymore. Lol.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro SS Clone
692 Posts
I have a 10:1 box also. The part that kinda sux is it doesn’t alway cancel the turn signal now,
since you don’t have to turn the wheel as far anymore. Lol.
Haha yep this is true. Seems worse turning left than right. I feel like a real dipwad driving sound with it on. Lol

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
The turning radius on a 1988 IROC is fine and left/right can be adjusted when you get an alignment, or you can do it your self with the tie rods.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I recently put an "IROC box" in my 69. I've driven it less than 100 miles but so far I'm really happy with it. Mine is a Cardone 27-6550 and got it at Advance Auto. Also used Dorman Rag Joint 31011. The hose fittings are metric o-ring so if you are using stock hoses you'll need flare to o-ring adapters. I had custom hoses made so I don't have part numbers for the adapters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts