Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use the standard power steering box pittman arm in a 3rd gen conversion?

I've read the upgrade instructions posted on this site, but cannot determine if its necessary, it mentions a Moog Long Pittman Arm, but does it need to be bought, especially if the one you have is still good.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just did this swap. I got the kit from Lee amnufacturing for the rag joint and coupler (it's $87 dollars now), the box from NAPA (the cheapest I found at $170 with a $27 core charge) and a replacement TRW pitman arm for a 69 with power steering from Advanced auto ($57) and it all goes together great.

·
Registered
50 Posts
69X11, I did the same as you. I'm am a little disappointed in the steering effort is too easy. I was hoping for more effort. Do you a like your conversion as far as steering feel?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I too would like to hear from folks who have done this. I have all the parts including the 3rd gen "Z" steering box, but I'm a little afraid what the result will feel like.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Tom M what model steering box did you get? Cardone 276550? The steering should not feel overassisted or easy, it should feel like a sports car. Mine feels very similiar to my 2003 G35 feel. I think a few who have done the upgrade are not getting the exact box 'Performance Suspension' version. This is a Cardone 276550 or GM 7843512. RockAuto.com has this box as well as Kragen.com. If you use 92694 for the zip code you can get the box for $139, if I use 75013 for the zip it jumps to $225. Not sure if it would let me add to cart under one zip and ship to another but RockAuto sells that 276550 at an affordable price as well.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
i just want to say that when i bought my first 3rd gen box (from a wrecking yard) i was not very happy with it, it was too easy and light
but when it started to leak, I bought a replacement from a parts store, and wow
looking back i am sure that the first box was not the "Z" or whatever the better box is
and the second one definantly was correct, and i am very happy with it

·
Registered
383 Posts
The steering box from a third gen has to be a Performance Type meaning a
Z/28,Trans Am or Formula with performance package. The road feel is great.
A real improvement over the too easy to steer stock box. You may need to drill out the orifice in the pump depending on tire size if the steering is too hard or notchy at low speed. Well worth the time & money.

Billy

·
Registered
383 Posts
Steering Box Upgrade

Lee manufacturing told me that up to a 92 would work so that is the year that I purchased. Best upgrade to driving performance especially with the Gulstrand Modification.

Billy

·
Registered
472 Posts
I looked up the partnumbers I needed on the NAPA site to get NAPA's part number for the 276550 box to make sure I got the right one. I went in and ordered it with the part number I looked up. I didn't do the Gulstrand mod, but I run Hotchkis springs front and back, full poly bushings, solid sub frame bushings, and a 1 1/8 Addco front sway bar. The car drives like a 90 Formula WS6 I had, but handles better, even with the big block.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Brian Lewis, I just looked at my steering box the number on the top side is 7826692. Any idea what this is. I guess I was given the wrong box from what you and others are saying about the steering feel.

Thanks for the feed back.

Tom

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guys, I can really use your help. As you may have read above, I have done this upgrade but my steering effort/feel is not what it should be since I have very little steering feel and steering effort. With this, I have checked my steering box. It has 7826692 stamped on the side. I then got my NAPA receit which shows part number 27-6550.

Can anyone tell me if the NAPA part number is the same as the Cardone part number for this part? I am trying to determine if I got the right part with this NAPA part number or the wrong one.

Also, can anyone tell me the part number that will be stamped on the side of the steering box when I get the correct part?

TIA

Tom M

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
As others have stated in another thread, the stamping on the outside will not mean anything. These are refurbished units and could have anything inside the casing to make the feel or ratios different.

According to NAPA's website, the Napa 276550 is an 85 Chevrolet Camaro Iroz with FE3 Sports Suspension, just like the Cardone unit is. So it sounds like you should have the right box. As for if it was rebuild properly to be a 276550 thats another question all together!

Also you will run into the issue if trying to remove your 'inserts' from the unit to stick in the next unit. I am sure LEE will send you a new set at an affordable price though if you decide to try another box.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts