Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there... anyone have any suggestions on how to repair the two "tabs" that are used to fasten on the cover panel just below the steering column?

The tabs are actually part of the guage cluster. Both of mine were broken at some time in the past. I was trying to think of some way to fabricate a new section or re-inforce the existing pieces and extend them so that I can screw the cover on...

·
Premium Member
10,083 Posts
Do a search using "dash carrier repair" in interiors forum. Everything you need to know. I used JB Weld liberaly to reinforce any threaded area and tabs so hopefully I never need to take the dash apart again!
Gary

·
11,631 Posts
Steve, Just use JB weld. use masking tape to create a dam and lather it in with a lot of extra (make sure you have good thickness). When it dries, use a dremel to shape it and drill the hole. I did mine off the car and with a template to make sure I had the correct shape. On the car might be a little tough. Also make sure the dash where you JB weld to is clean. The use a Q tip dipped in paint to color. I use spray paint into a paper cup with the Q tip.

Kevin

·
Registered
955 Posts
I went to the local hobby shop and purchased a sheet of plastic stock, cut out the right size pieces, used a soldering iron to melt a piece of plastic bar stock into the cluster and the flat stock, just like welding. I then drilled them, painted the repaired areas and added the clip nuts. It fit perfect and has held up for more than two years. I also used the same sheet plastic to repair the cluster where the radio hole had been chopped up. I then added a corrugated piece over the top that almost doesn't look too bad from a distance. Just another slant on things! Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.