Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the body mounts on my 69 Camaro. After I put the car back together the steering column is binding up when turned. The old body mounts were badly worn. More than likely the body is sitting father off ther subframe than it was before. Are there adjustments for the steering column? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The best thing that I can say is to read the assembly manual on this one, cause there is a bunch of different proceses that it wants you to do for a column.

------------------
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.

·
11,269 Posts
Balboni, Take the column cover off of your dash and loosen the nuts that hold the column. Make sure your rag joint is not overly stessed. Jack the front wheels up and turn the wheel. If it got better, tighten the nuts and put the wheels back and test drive. If it did not, try to push the column in more, new bushings increase the distance between the column and steering box. The rag joint is were the give and take is. The nuts under the dash have adjustment for that reason.

Good Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 ragtop, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69' Hugger Orange Z-21 ragtop 327/PG, Driver

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You will also want to re adjust the lower portion of the steering column, Remove the plastic cover below the steering column, on the firewall. There are 3 screws attaching the lower mounting plate to the firewall. loosen and adjust. As ragtop man says per the manual.

TTFN
Mat

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
If all else fails, try "Preporation H".

Don't know?? Don't mind me, I'm just mouthing off, LOL. Good luck. pdq67

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Loosen everything up and follow the sequence outlined in the A.I.M., UPC 9, Sheet A6, EXACTLY. The last thing you want is any axial or radial stress on any part of your steering system, especially at the lower steering column bearing or at the rag joint. It's not that big a deal, should be able to do it all (right) in less than an hour. You don't have the removable plastic spacers that came on the rag joint, but you can use a couple of pieces of rubber hose instead - just make sure the pins on the lower half are exactly centered in the slots in the upper half when you're done, and the "rag" element itself isn't wavy or distorted. Don't take short cuts with safety systems; it will ruin your whole day if your steering locks up or disappears in traffic.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
All of the resto part suppliers have them in their catalogs for about twenty bucks - absolutely essential for any Camaro owner. If mine was loose-leaf, I'd be glad to fax it to you, but mine's bound like a book. Maybe someone else on the site has a loose-leaf copy they can fax to you.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 8 of 8 Posts