Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the last 5% of a project that's always the hardest to finish... I have a rebuilt GM tilt column, IROC box, stock upper dash yoke / bracket, and repop suframe. The mount holes in the steering column are about 3/8" from lining up; the column is a bit too long. I read a post about someone 'partially' collapsing their column to fix this. Any other non-BFH solutions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No ideas on this? I'm at a loss.

If I pull the column back out and try to compress it a bit with a bar clamp, will I damage anything? Is there a shear pin?

What is the factory length, and where is it measured?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump...

I'm about to dig into this. Still no suggestions?

First, I think I'm going to try loosening the subframe and scooting it forward.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Bump...

I'm about to dig into this. Still no suggestions?

First, I think I'm going to try loosening the subframe and scooting it forward.
If I recall correctly, the 67 steering column is not collapsible, that was a 68 an up mandate.
Are the 3 steering column bracket support rods correctly installed?

·
10,144 Posts
67 steering columns are collapsible, same as a 68. The shaft has a telescoping internal shaft section that probably has very thin plastic shear pins in it to hold the sections in place. Any hammering on the shaft itself will shear those pins quite easily. The outer housing has a collapsible area that is covered in plastic, just below the bracket. I'll look at my 67 and see if I can get you a dimension.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm fairly certain the mount rods are installed correctly, but I'll double check them against my assembly manual before I dig further. It wouldn't surprise me, considering all the jerry-rigged crap I found in my car. It's so close, I'm pretty sure I can get enough movement out of the subframe. Just haven't had the time to try yet.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
There are alignment holes in the subframe brackets that are supposed to line up with corresponding holes in the front body mount brackets. If those are lined up, you probably don't need to move the subframe.

·
10,144 Posts
I'm working on mine this afternoon. Stripped out my heater and radio yesterday. I'll see if I can get a measurement from end of rag joint flange to the mounting bolts.

·
10,144 Posts
My measurements
First one is from firewall to rag joint flange. It's 5 1/4".
Second pic shows the steering column clamp at the firewall. Loosen this to slide it up or down.
Third pic shows the ruler butted against the upper side of the clamp, where you see the pinch bolt, measuring to the lowest bolt on the steering column 12 5/16". The column adapter bracket bolts to the column here. The camera is up against the trans tunnel near the shifter hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped out the 2 spd automatic transmission on my 1967 Camaro for a 4 speed (700R4). I want to keep the shifter on the column. The original is PRNDL. To accomadate the additional shift positions Park Reverse Neutral Overdrive Drive L1 L2, I've was told I need a new steering column as the original does not have the range to cover all 7 positions. The local transmission shop pulled my steering column and it measures 30 inches. I have found several columns at JEGS.com with tilt. Part # 70473 #70474 #70475 Hope this helps. Also wanted to keep the ignitation switch on the dash. The new steering coulumns tilt, have self canceling turn directionals, and hazard switch. You can even add cruise control if you want.

·
13,830 Posts
I swapped out the 2 spd automatic transmission on my 1967 Camaro for a 4 speed (700R4). I want to keep the shifter on the column. The original is PRNDL. To accomadate the additional shift positions Park Reverse Neutral Overdrive Drive L1 L2, I've was told I need a new steering column as the original does not have the range to cover all 7 positions. The local transmission shop pulled my steering column and it measures 30 inches. I have found several columns at JEGS.com with tilt. Part # 70473 #70474 #70475 Hope this helps. Also wanted to keep the ignitation switch on the dash. The new steering coulumns tilt, have self canceling turn directionals, and hazard switch. You can even add cruise control if you want.
This thread is 3 years OLD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts