Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 base model 307 with 3 speed column shift. I am going with a 350/TH350 with a floor shift. I am thinking of using the existing column with the linkage disconnected. Does anybody see any problems with this? I want to get this taken care of before it becomes a major pin in the *** later.

Bob

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
no problem at all. this is the way my first camaro was too. 3 speed on the column, changed to floor shift. just disconnect all the column stuff and its good. you will have to do somthing w/ the neutral safety switch, cant remember what i did, it was over 15 years ago. the only downfall is the old shifter arm boss on the column will always be hanging there, so it would be nice to swap for a correct column if possible. hope that helps

·
Registered
544 Posts
As far as I know all first gens had the neutral safety switch in the column. Mine is an original 4 speed car and it has it that way. There is a rod going from the reverse shift lever to move the column collar inside the car to engage the reverse lights switch. If I remember correctly it also reqiured the car to be in reverse to start.

In your case I would imagine you might need to change the reverse switch inside the car to a manual shift switch. I think everything would work find then providing you acquire the proper linkage for the trans. This will make your reverse lights work . My car also had a switch on the clutch so the clutch had to be depressed before starting, but that has long since been cut out. I have meant to put it back but it is a low priority for

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Several issues to deal with:

1. You'll have to wire the reverse lever at the base of the column up in the "reverse" position in order to turn the ignition to "Lock" so you can get the key out.

2. The existing backup light switch is on the column, and (1) above will have it "on" all the time; you'll need to bypass it and extend the wiring to the backup light switch on your new floor shifter.

3. You'll need to bypass the existing clutch safety switch and extend that wiring to the neutral safety switch on your new floor shifter.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 5 of 5 Posts