Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ’67 steering column squeaks loudly when I turn the wheels. It is very unpredictable but when it does it, it hurts your ear drums. It sounds like it is coming from the top of the column just below the steering wheel.

Are you able to take the column apart and grease it? If so, do you have any suggestions on where to grease or type of grease to use?

Can you recommand a good manual to follow to take it apart?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
My ’67 steering column squeaks loudly when I turn the wheels. It is very unpredictable but when it does it, it hurts your ear drums. It sounds like it is coming from the top of the column just below the steering wheel.

Are you able to take the column apart and grease it? If so, do you have any suggestions on where to grease or type of grease to use?

Can you recommand a good manual to follow to take it apart?
You don't by chance use an aftermarket steering wheel, do you? I ask because I had the same issue with my Grant wheel and it was due to the black piece that sits under the adapter. On mine, it was too deep and it was rubbing against the column housing as I turned. I put it on the lathe, shortened it down and BINGO, no more squeeling when turning the wheel. Of course, if you don't run an aftermarket wheel, this is probably not your issue.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
if you don't run an aftermarket wheel, this is probably not your issue.
It canbe...if someone has hit the top of the column, broken the plastic pin and shortened the column shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts