Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased and installed a new firewall in my 68 Camaro about 2yrs ago... Well, everything is painted and I am putting it all back together now. I started installing the steering column and noticed that the plate doesn't line up and that its not even close to being the same shape. Same thing goes with the gasket. The firewall itself fits great and looks great by the way.

After doing a little research it appears the firewall I purchased is inner-changeable with a 69'. So, I can only assume the plate/mount is designed for a 69 versus a 68... My question, where in the world do I get a 69' plate that mounts to the firewall? I've looked around and all I can find are the gaskets (need that too..).

Anyway, I thought someone on here might have run into this problem??? Any info would be great!

Thanks!

Clint

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
you mean it never got mocked up before going off to paint?
can the hole be modified without screwing up the paint too badly?

·
Registered
508 Posts
i don't think i would have " mocked up " the steering column either, and i mocked up everything else on my car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah - Busted... Didn't do a mock up and its been biting me in the arse every sense. Any idea though where I can get that part? Its the piece that clamps around the steering column and then bolts to the firewall with a gasket. I'm looking for a 69' version and I was hoping I could buy a new one???

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Clint -

The column to "floor" bracket is not reproduced, so you'll have to find a used one. Rick's lists it as part # HR-77, for $20 subject to availability. You might want to start a "Want to Buy" thread in the member classifieds here and see if someone has one they can spare.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
i think a 69-74 Nova uses the same column as a 69 Camaro.
time for a boneyard trip, eh?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts