Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right forum but here you go. I am switching my 68 over to a floor shift with a Muncie. It was an original powerglide on the column. I purchased a steering column from a donor car that was a floor shift car. When I set the two columns together my original is longer than the new one. Any thoughts?
Is this an issue? Please advise

------------------
New Toy- 1968
Camaro
( just starting out )

Old Toy -1985 Z28
( still driven )

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Sounds like the new one was in a car that was hit in the front. The design of the column is to collapse in an impact. The inner shaft and the outer housing are both designed to collapse. The shaft slides into itself and the housing has a folded wall design that allows it to collapse. Pull the plastic cover off of the housing and inspect the housing carefully. If still in doubt pulling the shaft out and checking it for length will prove it's been hit. I had this problem on a 68 not too long ago and ended up using the shaft out of a donor column.

I would reuse you old column and just switch over the bowl and upper bearing housing assembly. If you want I have the breakdown for a 67-8 column that'll walk you through rebuilding yours. I also have all the parts needed to change your column over to a floor shift style. But you've got them too now with your new column. those parts shouldn't have been affected by a front end hit.

Dave

[This message has been edited by SY1 (edited 02-27-2002).]

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. My chassis book doesn't get into enough detail to exchange parts. I can't even find a safe way to remove the housing!

------------------
New Toy- 1968
Camaro
( just starting out )

Old Toy -1985 Z28
( still driven )

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Rusty Z,
You have mail! I sent the 4 pages from the service manual in two seperate emails to you. I broke them into two emails because some servers won't accept files that large if I put them all on one email.

Hope it helps,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts