Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and appreciate the comments that have been made. I have a '72 RS Camaro and need to replace the steering column for a console shift. Since many parts for Camaro's from '70 - 81 are interchangable, I was wondering if this would also apply to the steering column and the secondary shaft? Could a column out of a truck work just as well?

I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I doubt it,I changed my 67 from a column to a floor shift type column but I got the new column out of a 68. I'd stay in the same family and shoot there were millions of camaros made between 70-81 they should be a dime a dozen at the local junk yard,or craigs list on a part out car.Steering is like brakes...ya just dont want to mess with the safety of it, ya know?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I believe 69 to 71 Camaro and Nova steering columns with Reverse Lock Key Removal lever are identical for floor manual shift and will probably fit a 72 but do some research. For Console Auto shift I heard that 69 to 73 Chevelles and Nova's work and Ventura's to 74 may be the same; since the 72 is wired differently then 69 to 71 Camaros I suspect there may be wiring issues there. The guys at NastyZ28 might have a better answer. I also believe the steering box ratio was changed in 72 as well but don't think this this would be an issue.

I'm sure [email protected] would know the answer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts