Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey greg,

Doing the same conversion right now. Got a lot of help from the guys on this site. They sent me pictures, Drawings, layouts for the tunnel hole etc. Give me a yell at [email protected] and let me know what you need.

I am learning this is kind of an expensive conversion.

Are you going 4 speed Manual or 3 speed automatic?

If you have a column shift you are probally running a 2 speed powerglide. Great strip trans but sucks on the street.

If you are going to a 3 speed the trans will run around $1200 for a Built TH400

New steering column with tilt wheel - about $400

Linkage, Misc items $200

Check out this link - Shift Works. These guys are great and make linkage kits to do conversions or take you into your new trans. http://www.shiftworks.com/camaro.htm

Again,

Let me know what you need. My biggest problem was determining where to cut the hole in the tunnel. I have all that info now to pass along to you.

Later

------------------
67' SS Convertible Camaro
[email protected]
Pennsylvania

·
Registered
715 Posts
I am also converting from a column to console but on an automatic. I need to know what harness runs from the fuse box to the harness in the console. and also will this harness allow me to use my current steering column until I can afford the correct one.

------------------
68 RS, Ash Gold,pwr windows,Hounds tooth

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
The console mounted shifter includes the park lock out switch. You should be able to keep this on the steering column, if you re-connect the linkage for the transmission lock out, and don't mind not having the lights on the console. otherwise an adaptor type harness should be available from somewhere.

I hate to see people spending $400.00 for a tilt column. Many GM columns will fit with a slight modification to the transmission linkage lever on the column. And the special splined flange for the rag joint. It's much more economical to get a junkyard column and do this, Obviously, if your not going original. You can add the newer style column dimmer switch, I even added the column mounted intermittant wipers, (slightly more work, but a nice feature)

TTFN
Mat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts