Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the threads regarding swapping in an IROC Z XH gear or some people using the Cardone or Lares rebuilt. In the case of the Lares 972 box which allegedly has Z28 internals, that is not entirely true. I bet this is true with the A1 Cardone boxes also where people have swapped them in and not got the increased road "feel". The most important part to get that feel is the torsion bar or t-bar. The thicker in diameter it is, the more road feel you get. The t-bar thickness on a std 69 box is .175. The XH IROC box has a .210 bar. Lares just told me that they do not put a .210 t-bar in when they put the Z28 components in a 972 box! I am willing to bet that happens with Cardone also and why it is a crap shoot as to what steering manners you wind up with. Just thought you guys who are plannng on doing the swap might want to know. I am either going to find a used XH box or (shudder) pay the exorbitant price for a Lee 670 box depending on my luck finding a good used IROC box.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
When buying rebuilt, Z28 is only part of the equation. It must also spec FE2 suspension.
A regular Z28 FE1 spec box will get you fast ratio with a smaller torsion bar.
A Z28 WITH FE2 SUSPENSION AND/OR WITHOUT FE1 SUSPENSION spec box will (should) get you fast ratio with large torsion bar. Monte Carlo SS with quick ratio is almost the same except it has more travel.

Here's the factory box specs
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0901_gm_steering_box_upgrade/viewall.html

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah, put a new Cardone box on my car this winter and I don't think it has the right feel. It was better than what I had before, but not GREAT. I decided to keep it and then I got my alignment done and he put -1 degree camber in and it feels awesome now! Nice and tight. I'm going to leave it like it is for a while and decide later if I want to change the box again.....much later haha!

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the Iroc you are pulling the gear from came from the factory with 16 inch wheels, you will get the good XH box. That is the only way to be sure as there are just as many Iroc clones out there as first gen Z28s and SS's out there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I replaced the original 68 (standard ratio) steering box with a Lares 972 (quick ratio) I bought at Advance Auto several years ago.

(I turned in original box for core)

At the time, the Lares description said IROC internals in a stock box.

I don't know specs on the parts Lares was using in the 972 at the time, or what they use in them now.

The 972 I bought gave me quick ratio and much firmer modern feel than the original box did, and it was a direct swap with no adapters, etc.

I'm happy with the 972, but I've never driven an IROC to compare the steer effort.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Is there any way to tell what you have without actually driving the car? I bought one of these boxes and its in my car but the car is being rebuilt and its a while before I can drive it. If its the wrong box then I would rather replace it now before its assembled.

Thanks,

Rich

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Yes. Any box rebuilder can measure the amount of torque needed to turn the gear as well as check the internal stops and ratio.

To those wondering if the graveyard parts car will have the right box, 16 inch wheels plus the RPO option B4Z on the sticker on the underside of the console lid will assure you have the right car. Don't forget, after 1990 the IROC package went away. 1989-1992 Z28's have the 12.7 ratio but slightly softer torsion rod. :thumbsup:

Is there any way to tell what you have without actually driving the car? I bought one of these boxes and its in my car but the car is being rebuilt and its a while before I can drive it. If its the wrong box then I would rather replace it now before its assembled.

Thanks,

Rich

·
10,144 Posts
Also the Jeep Cherokee boxes are supposed to all be fast ratio and stiff valving. I don't know if they are as stiff as the IROC boxes though. The Z/28 boxes are one step less-stiff than an IROC.

Steering box adapter fittings: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/clp-605sol

·
Registered
4 Posts
holy smokes,
i could use some help, it seems folks tell me the just enough to hook me. then reallity sets in and theres usually a ton more needed.
i would like a good gearbox, type 2 pump, remote res.,any and everything to do a complete swap from man. steering. i have pulley and mounting brackets along with making my own hose.
i do have drop spin. with attached arms.
i keep finding not what i want.
thanks to each and everyone

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You want all that stuff, go to ProTouring websites. Or figure out what parts you need in terms of resevoirs, brackets, hoses, etc to bolt to a second gen IROC box. Its called hotrodding. There are no "kits" out there ready to buy.

·
10,144 Posts
Do you have the long water pump?
If so, look at most GM engines used during the 70's to early 80's. Pickups are a good source.
Speedway Motors sells a cheap type 1 pump bracket to mount a stock pump, and hoses to fit a first gen are available at any auto parts store. Speedway sells a Sweet type II pump, v belt pulley and aluminum bracket to fit a long water pump car. We used that on my wife's 73 Camaro.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good morning..... I bought was is suppose to be a "XH" gear box yesterday. It came off a 1991 Trans Am GTA. I ask the guy I purchased it from if he could read the end-cap and email back....hence he said those 2 letters.

What else is needed? Rag joint?, special steering lines (one side metric, one side standard?), what about the steering arm, do I use the one that is coming with it, or do swap mine off the original onto the 3rd gen box?

Thanks, Greg

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am Sure this is a very OLD question but here goes. My Stock Box is leaking from EVERYWHERE. I need to re-build or re-place it. I priced re-building it and the shop said $350. I am thinking - Heck for that price I can probably Buy a new replacement. Now starts the confusion. I am finding all kinda stuff with all Kinda claims. I have a 68 (firebird) and I am wanting to improve the steering if I am going to Buy a new BOX. I want a direct swap out with no problems. I already have Power steering in the car. SOOO what box should I consider? I am finding all kinda different turns ratios and so forth? I know CPP is good stuff but I am confused and Un-informed.

Can you guys offer me a suggestion?

Here are 2 list of several different ones currently available.

http://www.firebirdcentral.com/FIREBIRD_POWER_STEERING_PARTS_s/256.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=256&show=240&page=1

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year/1968/make/pontiac/model/firebird?SortBy=DisplayPrice&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=power steering box

This box seems appealing but I am uncertain?
http://www.firebirdcentral.com/1964_1976_Power_Steering_Gear_Fast_Ratio_2_75_p/pow-400.htm

·
Registered
535 Posts
converting manual steering to power steering on 67 need some help pls

Hi Guys
Here is my problem, I have a 67 rs Camaro it had manual steering so I switched to power steering BUT now the car barley turns left and right turn is sharp. Do you also need to change I think its called the drag link bar which attaches to the pitman arm ?. I say this because of my turning problems and I checked it out , If that bar was 3 inch longer when both tires were pointed forward that bar would come out right under my pitman arm . Any help please thanx in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have been researching this issue. I have a 69 that I want better steering for and the best info I came up with so far is this site .. Get a pen.. Chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html these are from Jim Shea who was the engineer for Saginaw that designed the steering for GM. I'll keep a post to let you know what I pick up. So far I think I'm gonna try the flex coupling and pump from a 70-82 chev/gmc p/u and a box from a 92-98 grand Cherokee , you have to replace or rebuild the pump so it will give to faster ratio box enough fluid.. I will post something to his I made out. Good kuck

·
Banned
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, if you want to reinvent the wheel go ahead. Why would you want to combine all those parts from different sources? Your camaro's pump can be modified easily. What is it about the 86-92 iron/z boxes you don't like?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
This steering gear is $125 at rockauto without an exchange.

Seems a no-brainer.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts