Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put the new Cardone QR box in the car, and then decided to upgrade to a new power steering pump. It came in on order, and I noticed that it was different from my old one. I have a thread on here about my pulley situation. my old pump had a press on pulley, this new one has a keyway threaded style.
So I ordered a new chrome pulley off of eBay. then I had to order a nut. did that.
Now today, I thought I had all parts, put the brackets on the pump, and tried to put it back on the car and it doesn't line up straight with the crank. The pump and pulley is crooked. I will try to take some pics of the current situation. I'm assuming with it being a different pump, the same old brackets are causing this.

My question is, for a '69 engine without A/C, the alternator is on the passenger side, the power steering pump is the only thing on the right side.

What brackets/pump should fit the engine?

Here is a "BEFORE" pic of the old pump with the brackets that I'm still trying to use.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for those links Skip.

In the first link from the AIM, it shows what appears to be a 3rd bracket. I was looking in my AIM, and this confused me as well. My pulley is not lining up because its cocked sideways. It's not that the pulley is too far forward or backward. It's like its missing some washers or something on the far side.
I'll get a photo up soon to help describe the current situation.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Your new pump is correct with a bolt on pulley.

Your old pump was wrong as the pressed on pulley's came later. (1975 ?)

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I would add a couple of flat washers as shown in picture, and see how it looks.

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
I think the reason you are having issues is that newer Camaro's (mid 70's) used the press on pulley's that also used different brackets. You may have newer brackets on your car !
The only way to know for sure, would be to compare your brackets with known '69 brackets. Yours look like the '69 brackets, but they may not be.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the record, (in case anyone ever searches this)

I fixed the problem by adding 3 flat washers between the PS pump and the bracket on the left upper bracket hole (as your facing the pump).

PSpumpfix.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts