Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have replaced my steering box, tie rods and now looking to replace my steering wheel. After removing the steering wheel I noticed the line (notch) on the steering column shaft is at the 2 o'clock position. The wheels are straight, shouldn't this notch be at the 12 o'clock position ?? The original steering wheel was straight after all the work was done. I had another replacement wheel I tried and it installed at the 10 o'clock position, (wheels straight). Looks like someone didn't line up the notch with the "top arrow" on the hub ???

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I'm going to rotate the wheel to the left so that the "Scribed line" on the steering shaft is at the 12 o'clock position. I'm pretty sure that is Center. here is a better pic I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
The notch should be at 12:00 to get proper centering of the steering box and turn signal canceling with the stock wheel.
Once you move it to 12:00, you will have to adjust the tie rods to correct the toe-in adjustment.
If you believe the steering shaft was removed, you might want to check the joint for proper installation. I believe it is keyed with a flat section and can only go one way.

Ron

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The notch should be at 12:00 to get proper centering of the steering box and turn signal canceling with the stock wheel.
Once you move it to 12:00, you will have to adjust the tie rods to correct the toe-in adjustment.
If you believe the steering shaft was removed, you might want to check the joint for proper installation. I believe it is keyed with a flat section and can only go one way.

Ron
Thanks for the Reply Ron. Excellent.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Like Ron stated, tie rod adjustments. For new steering parts it will likely take a few iterations to get the final alignments correct between the steering wheel index and toe.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Mike. I just wanted to confirm the “line” on the shaft should be at the 12’oclock when straight. I have it all adjusted correctly already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts