Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this as I just bought my first vintage car (so looking for any help I can get), 67 RS convertible 327. One of the first changes is replacing the steering wheel as it has an impala wheel on it just for transport. The replacement steering wheel we chose (GE certified wood Wheel) makes it almost impossible to slide into the car, as the wheel is very close to the seat. Is this normal or could something else be causing this that we are missing.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Whats the diameter of the "GE" wheel you installed? My OEM wheel is boxed and in storage or I'd measure mine LOL. And do you have a tilt column... maybe stuck in the down position? Even a stock steering wheel has more than enough room for an average-sized adult to slide behind the wheel. The original Gen1 steering wheels are a bit large and thin by todays standards. Another consideration is whether you are trying to restore the car to OEM specs or you're just interested in putting a nice, comfortable wheel in the car. Pictures would help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no tilt on the column. The wheel is 16" but I am thinking of going down to a 14" and not worry about the OEM part unless I end up selling or showing.

I will get some pics next weekend, we have the wheel back off to work on the dash and instruments.

Thanks for the insight!

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Steve...

I did a complete write up on my conversion from a stock wheel to a MOMO D36 which is a little over 14" and its a sticky right now, but because of Photobucket, all the pix are gone. I'm in the process of re-doing the thread, and when I do, the pix will be hosted by IMGUR. Here's what it looks like... and yes, I did a whole dash insert, SpeedHut gauges, matching carbon fiber console and grab bar panel.

I'm still not done... have the dash out again, new AC dash pad, and Vintage Air project. Little bit at a time LOL.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I am 6 ft tall and my 67 had the stock wheel which is 16 inches I am tell ya it's tight behind the wheel . So I just changed the wheel to s 13.5 and I made seat track extenders and what a huge difference now I have some room to enjoy driving the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used a volante series 9 it’s 14” I’m 6’3 so I know that feeling. Volante has plenty of cool horn buttons to match styles. Went with the 67 lettering Camaro for mine it’s perfect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and input! I managed to work with the wheel and it looks great, but now on to why none of my gauges are working right... Always chasing something! Thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts