Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not able to find an answer via a search, so here goes. The spring/post from the cancelling cam will sound the horns when I make a connection to the steering wheel stud. The problem is making the horns sound with the horn cap assembly. How does the spring/post make the connection with the metal disc, since the disc never touches the steering wheel stud, only the base of the three-spoke insert. I'm confused.
Thanks for the help!

------------------
Dallas
67 SS 350
photo ==> http://www.vaclassiccruisers.com/clbveh_lackey1.jpg

·
Registered
500 Posts
This is what my manual says. 1.With the turn signal and horn assemblies in place, position the wheel on the shaft and install the washer and nut. 2.Install the spring (dish side up), pivot ring, bushing, and receiving cup. 3.Install the retainer and horn button cap or ornament. My advice is check for any corrosion on all the parts. This is usually the culprit with a horn button.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

·
Registered
26 Posts
The three spoke insert has the spring tabs that hold the horn cap right? The part holding the horn cap is insulated from the bottom part of the insert with the three spokes. When you push on the horn cap, there are three different places that could make the contact. If you hold it in your hand and push on the top part you will see where this happens. Now, the strange part. If this is a reproduction part you might have some problems making good contact as the quality is lacking. I had to take mine apart and do a little sanding to remove the coating on the springs. Be sure to put some dielectric grease in there to maintain your good connection!

SS

·
Registered
26 Posts
A couple things I thought of to add:
The best way to check the part is to hook up a DVM and check the resistance when you push the contacts together. Mine has a beep setting so it is pretty easy to use this way.

If you do need to take it apart you just use an awl or something with a good tip and poke out the three plastic centers from the plastic holders and then you can squeeze the holders together and push them out.

SS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts