Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I can find the answer for this exact question: When I removed the steering wheel shroud from my standard 69 wheen the little spring popped up and out. I know there's a little pin down inside the wheel that is part of this assembly, and looks like it has shifted down out of position. Is this pin supposed to be inserted into the spring and then assembled? Or does the spring just ride on top of it? If I need to get to the spring to reposition it or reassemble it with the spring, do I need to pull the steering wheel to do that? Thanks!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Photos would help a lot here. If I understand you correctly, that pin rides on top of that spring. The spring pushes the pin up to make contact with a circular ring and provides electrical connection for the horn while still letting the wheel spin.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Guys, I can find the answer for this exact question: When I removed the steering wheel shroud from my standard 69 wheen the little spring popped up and out. I know there's a little pin down inside the wheel that is part of this assembly, and looks like it has shifted down out of position. Is this pin supposed to be inserted into the spring and then assembled? Or does the spring just ride on top of it? If I need to get to the spring to reposition it or reassemble it with the spring, do I need to pull the steering wheel to do that? Thanks!
Photos would help a lot here. If I understand you correctly, that pin rides on top of that spring. The spring pushes the pin up to make contact with a circular ring and provides electrical connection for the horn while still letting the wheel spin.
Pics here........

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=891300#post891300http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?p=891300#post891300

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=121430

David F.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I can use those when I reassemble everything. (Unfortunately that 2nd link no longer has photos) But actually I am referring to a pin that is sold, by Rick's for example (Item # HR-18) along with the spring that goes down inside that tube. I don't see one or understand where it's supposed to go. I may be totally off base here since I can't actually see a/the pin, just something that looks like the top of it. It's down inside the wheel—and that may be right where it (or whatever part I am seeing) is supposed to be. My question was whether that is the pin and if it's supposed be down there or whether its supposed to be up inside that spring? That would mean I'd have to get access to it somehow. But, unless I misunderstood, your note sounds like the pin is a different part and actually goes into the spring from the top and presses up against that little brass collar on the wires. This is the original wheel which I am sure has never been disassembled before. But now I am more confused because I'm pretty positive there was no pin on top of the spring. Thanks for your help—and patience.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Thanks, I can use those when I reassemble everything. (Unfortunately that 2nd link no longer has photos) But actually I am referring to a pin that is sold, by Rick's for example (Item # HR-18) along with the spring that goes down inside that tube. I don't see one or understand where it's supposed to go. I may be totally off base here since I can't actually see a/the pin, just something that looks like the top of it. It's down inside the wheel—and that may be right where it (or whatever part I am seeing) is supposed to be. My question was whether that is the pin and if it's supposed be down there or whether its supposed to be up inside that spring? That would mean I'd have to get access to it somehow. But, unless I misunderstood, your note sounds like the pin is a different part and actually goes into the spring from the top and presses up against that little brass collar on the wires. This is the original wheel which I am sure has never been disassembled before. But now I am more confused because I'm pretty positive there was no pin on top of the spring. Thanks for your help—and patience.
During the process of documenting the installation of the horn contacts there was a debate regarding the use of that pin.....I tried to use the pin but couldn't get the spring to completely compress so I omitted it and the horns still function. I'm not totally convinced that the pin is used on the '69 Standard wheel. If someone has the '69 Standard wheel that is using the pin.....please chime in so I / we can see the assembly if possible.

David F.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks David. I am pretty (99.99%) sure there was no pin in my wheel unless it shot out the window or something. My car was built in October, so maybe it's another one of those early/late build deals I've run into. So what actually holds that brass collar on the wires down into contact with the spring? Maybe that little plastic collar above it?

BTW that is a sweet-looking car you've got. The headers look like they were a bit of a challenge to squeeze in there. I'm afraid my basically stock, un-rebuilt but still-running-great SS350 with headers and intake falls a teenie bit short of yours in the horsepower category.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Thanks David. I am pretty (99.99%) sure there was no pin in my wheel unless it shot out the window or something. My car was built in October, so maybe it's another one of those early/late build deals I've run into. So what actually holds that brass collar on the wires down into contact with the spring? Maybe that little plastic collar above it?

BTW that is a sweet-looking car you've got. The headers look like they were a bit of a challenge to squeeze in there. I'm afraid my basically stock, un-rebuilt but still-running-great SS350 with headers and intake falls a teenie bit short of yours in the horsepower category.
You are correct about the plastic collar. It is what keeps the spring compressed in the hole. Thanks for the nice comment about my car, it is very much appreciated. Those headers were a challenge to bolt on. Half of each side goes in from the bottom with the other half going in from the top. It was reall fun manuevering the individual pipes around to get them to fit !!!!!!

David F.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts