Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i have a video i want to show of my steering wheel and how its loose. Before i dig into fixing i wanted to get some advice on how to fix it. PLease check out video and let me know thoughts. All that wiggling does not begin to turn steering box

thanks

J

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I wonder if the locking nut on the adaptor is loose and how much damage might have been made wallowing out the adaptors hole and/or splines.

Chances are the center horn button assembly pops out and then inside there is probably a center nut on a threaded center shaft on the column and the adaptor may have three or four smaller bolts around the perimeter next to the center shaft and nut.

I would go to Grant's site and see what wheel you might have as well as adaptor and see what they show for instructions.

Grant Steering Wheels

Jim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if the locking nut on the adaptor is loose and how much damage might have been made wallowing out the adaptors hole and/or splines.

Chances are the center horn button assembly pops out and then inside there is probably a center nut on a threaded center shaft on the column and the adaptor may have three or four smaller bolts around the perimeter next to the center shaft and nut.

I would go to Grant's site and see what wheel you might have as well as adaptor and see what they show for instructions.

Grant Steering Wheels

Jim
thanks Jim, ill look into this

·
Premium Member
11,155 Posts
Agree on the nut holding down the adapter. Look closer to the steering shaft coupler under hood. The rag joint may be loose also on the steering box flange. There should be a 12 point head bolt that could be loose also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello All

With key in ignition but motor off the steering shaft twists 2-3 inches. SHouldnt this be tight? Is this loosness caused by the steering box?

Also, in this second video you can see the steering wheel being moved back and forth 3-4 inches wiht out the car moving. The front end steering components are in good shape according to mechanic however i will be replacing all those down the line. Trying to determine what i need to do with the steer box. Lock to lock is 2.25 turns

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
If you've verified the problem is not at the steering wheel mount itself, then working down to the box leaves only the rag joint that could need replacement or the box itself. I think there is a small amount of adjusment that can be made at the box itself, otherwise it may be time for a box rebuild. I'd give the guys at Steering Technology Group a call. Tom Lee is affiliated with them (not sure if actively or on a consultancy basis) and there isn't a steering problem he can't fix.

Tom Lee Power Steering Technology

·
13,830 Posts
Steering gear is worn. You can try to tighten it by loosening the jam nut and turning the set screw clockwise.

The problem you'll most likely encounter is you'll get it tighter in the middle but it will be too tight at the ends. So the steering will be harder and won't return to center hands off. This is because the gear wears more in the center then the ends.

Box needs to be rebuilt to make it right.

·
Registered
777 Posts
your first video shows your stirring column having play on the adapter, the other two videos show the box having excess play. to adjust the box do as has been said above by undoing the 5/8 nut on top of the box and turning the the Allen to the right, make sure you have both front wheels of the ground while you doing it and keep checking the play at the same time

1 - 9 of 9 Posts