Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a tilt wheel in my '69 Z28 and now the steering wheel needs to be straightened. How hard is it to remove the part of the steering under the hood where it slips over the grooves. I know I can take it to a shop and have some adjustment made under the frontend that would take care of it, but I was trying to think of another way. Has anyone ever adjusted their steering wheel by taking it apart under the hood and straighten it with the grooves. Thanks, Donnie...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think your SOL on that one Donnie. If I remember the cloumn shaft has a notch in it for the clamping bolt. This prevents the shaft from moving in or out and so can only go on one way. I think you'll have to suck it up and take it to a front end shop. They'll set the steering wheel straight and then reset the wheels via the tie rods. You probably need your toe-in checked anyway, right?

Good luck,

John

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, I had the frontend checked about a month ago of course before I installed the tilt wheel (bad timing), but I guess I'll probably do like you said and take it to the local shop and have them do it the right way. Thanks for the reply, Donnie...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts