Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with 13" Nardi 3 spoke perforated leather steering wheels? I'm looking at all black version. Any thoughts on 13" vs larger 14" or 15" inch steering wheels? I currently have a 16" rosewood and it seems huge in the car. I have power steering.

I greatly appreciate feedback about this or other similar steering wheels you like.

Thanks!

·
Registered
744 Posts
I have a 16" that feels a little big (huge!), but I don't have power steering (yet), so I need every bit of it. I had a 14" and it almost felt like I was playing a video game, so I wouldn't want to go any less than that personally, but again my car is non-power steering.

·
Registered
1968 Camaro Convertible 250 to a LS3 Engine Swap
413 Posts
I just installed some seats from ProCar and now with my 15" Searing Wheel it's difficult to get in and out of the car. I read that the ProCar seat put you up a little higher?

I have this 13.5 Wheel being delivered on Friday, will post some pictures once I get it. I'm hoping it's not too small looking.

Amazon.com: Grant 213 Classic Wood Steering Wheel with Rivets: Automotive

·
Premium Member
1,366 Posts
Anything under a 15” is going to start blocking the gauges on a ‘69. If you don’t have stock gauges not an issue.

I measured my wife’s steering wheel in her ‘17 Acadia because I liked the size. 15”. I like my 15” wheel in the car, it feels right sized. Check out Forever Sharp. This is an old picture.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything under a 15” is going to start blocking the gauges on a ‘69. If you don’t have stock gauges not an issue.

I measured my wife’s steering wheel in her ‘17 Acadia because I liked the size. 15”. I like my 15” wheel in the car, it feels right sized. Check out Forever Sharp. This is an old picture.

View attachment 266769
Very nice! Thanks for the Forever Sharp tip, I think I see something I like.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
876 Posts
Here's what I see when I'm behind the wheel.

Here's a better shot, shows the proportion of this size wheel in the interior better.

Granted, I got rid of the ugly '69 Dash Module and that allowed a better grouping. The '67-68 has a much nicer layout to start with. But I've got a '69 and I like big, maximum sweep gauges (SpeedHut). The Wheel is a MOMO D36 which is about 14-1/8" at the widest. Its fractionally smaller top to bottom. Tried 350mm didn't like it... too small. Anything over 14-1/4" seems too big to me. Its all personal taste.

Mike

Edit: Randy... if you haven't messed with aftermarket wheels before, I wrote up my conversion here: MOMO STEERING WHEEL

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
The 14" wood without studs duplicates the original look and is a good quality from NPD or Ricks. Duplicates the 67-68 depth. Get a tilt to go with it.

·
Premium Member
Lee-Marinette, Wisconsin 69 Camaro X 11
409 Posts
I went to a Forever Sharp 15" wheel, it allows me to see my stock gauges. Easy installation also.8

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's what I see when I'm behind the wheel.

Granted, I got rid of the ugly '69 Dash Module and that allowed a better grouping. The '67-68 has a much nicer layout to start with. But I've got a '69 and I like big, maximum sweep gauges (SpeedHut). The Wheel is a MOMO D36 which is about 14-1/8" at the widest. Its fractionally smaller top to bottom. Tried 350mm didn't like it... too small. Anything over 14-1/4" seems too big to me. Its all personal taste.

Mike

Edit: Randy... if you haven't messed with aftermarket wheels before, I wrote up my conversion here: MOMO STEERING WHEEL
Thanks Mike! That looks pretty cool! I'm still rocking the stock gauges and they look pretty dull compared to yours. I appreciate the link to your project, that's going to be handy when I swap the wheel. I went with the 14" Forever Sharp black leather half wrap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 14" wood without studs duplicates the original look and is a good quality from NPD or Ricks. Duplicates the 67-68 depth. Get a tilt to go with it.
I have my eye on the tilt column, my Finance Minister (wife) is throttling my spending spree! LOL

·
Premium Member
Lee-Marinette, Wisconsin 69 Camaro X 11
409 Posts
Randy, the seats are from a 96 Camaro, the rear is original 69. Bought the set from Camaro Central

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
I'm more about the performance than period correct, so with my 10:1 steering box and the 13.8" wheel
my hands aren't all over the place like they would be with a larger wheel and a slower box when negotiating a tight course.
Work's for me on the freeway @ 90mph+just fine , you just need to be comfortable with it.
Not to mention the leg/knee room for full size men. :)

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts
14" Grant I believe with Ididit tilt column. With my 16:1 manual Z box is OK when moving but not much fun standing still.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have to agree with some of the earlier points made if you're car's a 69. I needed something that felt bigger than the rosewood wheel and I went with a thicker, 16" dia. allowing me to view the speedo & tach. Also the wheel is shallower depth wise putting it away from me a bit. Steering wheel2 3.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts