Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, it's me again.
I have an '85 IROC-Z. My problem began when my battery kept dying on me. I thought that it might be the alternator or maybe the battery was finally giving up on me. It was 4 years old. I replace it with an extra battery that is practically brand new. It came out of an '87 IROC,that I am tearing down for the motor and tranny. I put the new battery in and it has been running fine every since. Soon after that I started losing fuses in my radio hotwire under the hood, which is connected to positive battery terminal. Could this be a result of the battery have power surges, the alternator going bad, or just a plain old fashioned short?

------------------
JWL

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
If I remember there is no hot wire to the radio straight from the battery post on an '86 from the factory.

So . . . if it was added you may want to hand over hand it back into the car and see if it gets pinched or has damaged insulation somewhere. If I had to guess I'd say you have just a short.

If you can't follow the wire, you could always disconnect it and run a second temporary wire to see if the problem goes away - that would verify the wire. You could also have a shorted stereo component, but that is less likely since most amplifiers and radios have an internal fuse that would probably blow first.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts